Thread: Question regarding front bumper deco molding for 67 911S (wide S version)

Anthony West #1079

Question regarding front bumper deco molding for 67 911S (wide S version)

I am looking for the correct front bumper deco molding and rubber insert for my June 67 911S.
    I have seen that there are complete sets (molding plus rubber insert) offered by a number of firms claiming to be the wide S version for years 67 to 73 (901.505.045.51). Looks to me that the rubber inserts are thicker than the rubber inserts that are sold seperately (without the molding) for 67S (901.505.048.50). Are the wider moldings all the same and one can simply stick in the slightly less thick rubber insert for 67S (901.505.048.50) or the thicker rubber (901.505.405.51) for 68 and later S cars? I cannot see anyone offering the early wider moldings (901.505.047.50) as reproductions - why I am wondering if the molding itself is the same in both cases and only the rubber inserts are different.
    If the moldings for 67 911S are unique, anyone have an idea where I might find one?
    Also not sure if the front bumper guards for all 67-73 S were the same or if the ones in 67 has a slightly smaller cut-out for the rubber deco than the ones from 68 with slightly wider rubber.
    I would hugely appreciate if someone could clarify.
    Thanks so much!
    Kind regards,
    Anthony

Erik (member here - soterik) is the authority on this and here is a link to his ebay offering. Good for '67S, '68L(US) and '68S. 1969-'73 used different moldings.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-911...MAAOSwFV1bEca9

Both Stoddard and Eric Linden sell the correct "bull nose" rubber inserts. Stoddard sells only the longer front piece so that one has to purchase two fronts and then cut one to fit the rears. The Stoddard piece is expensive at around $600. So you're looking at $1200 to do front and rears. Erics pieces are cheaper, but he makes smaller runs and is occasionally out of stock. Both are excellent pieces.

The aluminum trim unique to SWB S and L cars is, to my knowledge, NLA. You have to find someone willing ($$$$) to parts with his pieces. The uniqueness of the SWB pieces is not just the longer rear pieces. It is the finish shape on the ends. SWB pieces are actually two 90 degree finished corners with a very short flat between the two corners...the later, and available trim is finished with a continuous 180 degree radius.

Then there are the unique rocker pieces unique to only '67 S and Ls....again squared ends, whereas the '68S went to the full on wide aluminum panel with end caps, similar to the LWB trim all-be-it shorter.
    Last edited by smedley; 02-22-2019 at 05:26 AM. Reason: added info
    Mark Smedley
    '59 VW Typ I
    '69 911T 2.7
    '86 930
    '04 GT3
    '16 Boxster GTS
    '08 MBZ AMG CLK 63 Black Series

"...whereas the '68S went to the full on wide aluminum panel with end caps, similar to the LWB trim all-be-it shorter."

I would love to find a NOS set of these!

Now back to our regularly scheduled program...
    Joe Annicelli
    Early 911S Registry #751
    Polo Red/Black 1967 Porsche 911S Coupe "Walter"
    Black/Red 1967 Alfa GTJr. Coupe "Nero"
    Italian Red 1994 Ducati 900SS/SP looks fast standing still
    Italian Red 1957 Gilera 150 Sport

Ahhhh the sixties... I envision myself one early Saturday morning wearing plaid shorts, black shoes with white socks smoking a cigarette heading to the hardware store to buy a bag of nails.
    SWB cars are an acquired taste however once acquired theirs no turning back.