Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: FS: @BaT - 1971 Porsche 911E - 48K Miles - Conda Green - Original Paint

Thanks, guys. Car did well as I thought it would and the auction was great fun. Car went to a very good guy who's very excited to own the car. I'm glad it found a great new home.

Anyone got anything great for sale for $211,911?

Must be burnin a hole in your pocket.
    Sure buys alot of NOS Euro turnsignals !
    1962 356 S Cab gone
    1967 911S Coupe
    2008 RS60 Boxster gone
    1973.5 911T targa soft window Gone
    Runge 008 Gone
    2002 996 TT x-50 Gone
    2016 Boxster GTS pts gulf orange
    1969 912 SWT pts green

Can I be FRANK with you ?

Live everyday like it's your last .
    Eventually you'll be right.

member #1515
    Helluva car helluva price.
    Congrats!!
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

Banned
    Awesome John. Congrats.

BaT never ceases to provide excellent cartainment and proves once again why it’s the #1 killer of American worker productivity for 25-60 year-old gearheads.

Only dark cloud in the auction was an absolutely ridiculous bloviation by an ESR member, of all people.

Maybe he will share with us why he made such a stupid and very malicious last-minute comment?

Quote Originally Posted by rower View Post
    I think you are being too harsh here. First, by using the word malicious you are attributing bad intent to hurt the auction (mens rea for those with Latin in the legal game) and I don’t believe that. Secondly, it wasn’t inaccurate except for the price being off. Anyone searching the VIN would get a sense. Third, I believe it was beyond the number anyway so the point was accurate. Fourth, it doesn’t matter - as shown by the auction results - as it just takes two bidders with their own view of what it’s worth and fifth, finally these are public forums not close friendships. His point was the auction reserve was met - it would sell - since it was above the sellers prior stated desire.

Would I have written that rather than waiting - no. But that doesn’t lead to the harsh conclusion you drew either.

I believe he was excited for the auction.

So don’t attribute an evil desire to hurt someone’s auction.

Sort of like you questioning the originality of my sport seats - when frankly you don’t have a clue certainly based on that one photo but acted like you did implying I was either ignorant or lying . Was that malicious? If I ever wanted to sell it? (Incidentally I did post a close up as you requested but you were noticeably silent). When you have cars that enter Pebble preservation I’ll pay more attention to your preservation comments then (like mine that won it’s Pebble preservation class). That means you pay attention to the details required. (And wait to see what I next will show on the lawn!)

You make lots of comments on for sale items - which if well founded I appreciate. Crowd sourced feedback. I don’t see the difference.
    Fair comments
    1968 911L Coupe - Golden Green
    1971 911S Coupe - Gemini Blue
    1973 911S Targa - Signal Yellow
    1974 914 2.3 - Sunflower Yellow

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Beck View Post
    Only dark cloud in the auction was an absolutely ridiculous bloviation by an ESR member, of all people.
    OK, guys. I told the person who made the comment in question that I'd address this for everyone to see so I'm going to do that.

As Frank said, during the hot and heavy action of the final bidding, with the car at $211,911 and after several 2-minute resets to the remaining time, a BaT user posted that the car had been offered for sale 10 days earlier here on BaT for $155k. That was with just under a minute remaining and the auction then closed at $211,911 with no further bids.

At the time the comment was made, I was waiting for my biggest bidder to jump in. If you've ever sold a high-dollar car on BaT, then you know that the week of the auction is spent on the phone with potential bidders and you quickly learn who the real players are. In this case, one of them was a wealthy company founder (think B not M) who I know and who texted me the night before "I'm buying your car. I'll be the last one in". But, of course, he wasn't.

I spoke to him shortly after the auction and he told me that he was at his keyboard and about to jump in with a $230k maximum bid but that the "hey that car was just for sale for $50k less last week" comment caused him to go, in his words, "hmmmmmm......". That's all the hesitation it takes and the auction closed. Quite frankly, I still don't think he would have gotten the car as the winning bidder seemed pretty determined and is a big-time guy in his own right. That being said, the silly comment about the car being listed here previously cost me $20k. Beyond that, it was just poor form. I can't believe anyone would argue that.

Immediately after the auction my phone blew up with texts and calls, many from members here, and all of them of the "wtf was that dude thinking?" variety. I'll admit, as anyone who spoke with me can attest, I was pretty heated but I'm over it now.

Like Frank, I've purposely refrained from naming the individual who made the comment but this is the Internet, where nothing is secret, and I want to state publicly that I don't hold any ill-will towards him. In the end, the car went to a great new owner and I'm thrilled about that. As for the person who made the comment, we had a lengthy discussion by email and I sincerely believe that he meant no harm by his comment. We've all had those moments when we post something online, or send someone an email, only to read it later and realize the potential unintended consequences. That's what happened here. The person who made the comment feels badly about the situation, has apologized, and I accept. He's a good guy who I've interacted with before and an asset to this community. I wish him nothing but well.
    Last edited by LiveFromNY; 06-22-2020 at 09:31 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rower View Post
    I think you are being too harsh here. First, by using the word malicious you are attributing bad intent to hurt the auction (mens rea for those with Latin in the legal game) and I don’t believe that. Secondly, it wasn’t inaccurate except for the price being off. Anyone searching the VIN would get a sense. Third, I believe it was beyond the number anyway so the point was accurate. Fourth, it doesn’t matter - as shown by the auction results - as it just takes two bidders with their own view of what it’s worth and fifth, finally these are public forums not close friendships. His point was the auction reserve was met - it would sell - since it was above the sellers prior stated desire.

Would I have written that rather than waiting - no. But that doesn’t lead to the harsh conclusion you drew either.

I believe he was excited for the auction.

So don’t attribute an evil desire to hurt someone’s auction.

Sort of like you questioning the originality of my sport seats - when frankly you don’t have a clue certainly based on that one photo but acted like you did implying I was either ignorant or lying . Was that malicious? If I ever wanted to sell it? (Incidentally I did post a close up as you requested but you were noticeably silent). When you have cars that enter Pebble preservation I’ll pay more attention to your preservation comments then (like mine that won it’s Pebble preservation class). That means you pay attention to the details required. (And wait to see what I next will show on the lawn!)

You make lots of comments on for sale items - which if well founded I appreciate. Crowd sourced feedback. I don’t see the difference.
    You're right. I apologize for attributing motive. At the time I found it impossible to believe that someone could be so naïve as to think what the car was priced at only weeks before wouldn't influence the sheeple who were bidding. And I can tell you from first hand experience not all bidders do their due diligence and lift every rock and scrutinize every reference online in regard to a VIN. It's amazing how often buyers don't do their homework!

Sometimes the wealthy are even more influenced by peer pressure than the masses. (And to complicate things even further; yes 155 was an inaccurate number.) I reached out to the poster and asked why he said such a dumb thing at that moment but so far no response. Not sure why he couldn't just come clean and admit in his eagerness to make the point that it would sell he pissed in the pudding. I suspect the bidding would have gone higher but we'll never know unless the final players volunteer what their line in the sand was. Maybe John knows?

You're reading way too much into my question on your sport seats. I'm not that smart.
    I simply questioned if they were original; nothing more/nothing less. I asked for pics of original 67 seats. Thanks for posting them; they're very nice. I didn't post again because I have a very short attention span and was getting bored.

BTW: The entire Seriously? thread is based on people thinking prices are outrageous. There's a time and place for that but it is NOT in the final few minutes of an auction. Not unless you want someone coming after you.

Day late; dollar short... I see that John posted.

'nuf said by me on this.

member #1515
    Glad John and the poster were able to put it behind.
    Sometimes people do and say stupid sh**t. Once, I put my car up for sale, here and on Pelican. Someone joined Pelican and did a one an only post, under that user name, to basically tear my car to shreds because of flared rear fenders and incorrect seats, things that, for me, have made my car more enjoyable to me. Height of meanness through anonymity.
    In retrospect maybe it saved me selling my car. Still enjoying it now.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs