Thread: 2000 996......IMS bearing a real concern?

2000 996......IMS bearing a real concern?

Friend getting his dads 2000 996. Lo mile car, 40k, that Im sure was not driven hard at all.

Lo miles and easy driving are not a good start for IMS worries.

is this a real concern>?.....Im trying to advise my buddy if he needs to do something, or just keep fingers crossed?

....as long as he does not have to pay for it . . .just keep fingers crossed and drive it.
    ims is a problem, but not only ims......coatings and else other construction weirdnesses...
    there is a very nice pca video regarding exactly this issue out in the www...
    but if it drives...drive it...
    59 750 pre unit triton
    63 650 gray silver bikinitub triumph thunderbird
    70 650 astralred silver triumph bonneville
    65 912 slate gray "erwin"
    73 914 ravennagreen "ferdl"
    erwin_loves_polo

Quote Originally Posted by haul View Post
    ....as long as he does not have to pay for it . . .just keep fingers crossed and drive it.
    ims is a problem, but not only ims......coatings and else other construction weirdnesses...
    there is a very nice pca video regarding exactly this issue out in the www...
    but if it drives...drive it...
    thnx

hes not paying for the car...…..but he'd have to pay for repair.

r u saying just drive it, and not be pro active at all?

well...
    keep always in mind to heat up the engine before kickin ´and let it cool down warm driving cold driving...
    the ims might be after 50 k mls or later, or earlier...it is really depending on ‚monday built’..
    of course proactive is and investment of appr. 1500.-
    the dad should pay for it..

others please correct and bring in costs for upgrading to later ims and seals-....

"pca ims change" type in google....nice vids and lot of explain
    59 750 pre unit triton
    63 650 gray silver bikinitub triumph thunderbird
    70 650 astralred silver triumph bonneville
    65 912 slate gray "erwin"
    73 914 ravennagreen "ferdl"
    erwin_loves_polo

Quote Originally Posted by haul View Post
    well...
    keep always in mind to heat up the engine before kickin ´and let it cool down warm driving cold driving...
    the ims might be after 50 k mls or later, or earlier...it is really depending on ‚monday built’..
    of course proactive is and investment of appr. 1500.-
    the dad should pay for it..

others please correct and bring in costs for upgrading to later ims and seals-....

"pca ims change" type in google....nice vids and lot of explain

thank you thank you

Banned
    I recommend upgrading to LN ceramic. There's maybe a 10-15% chance of a failure and if it happens on your friend's watch he'll end up with a totaled out car. It' s a big enough worry on M96 engines that most buyers do them. He might as well take advantage of the "insurance policy" and bite the bullet now versus taking a $2k hit when he sells it. Or worse.

If I owned a low mileage 2000 996 I would immediately have a mechanic install one of the many IMS solutions on the market. You can spend 2k max on having the solution of your choice installed or one day you turn the key to start the engine and then hear a bunch of metals crashing into each other. Low mileage equates to infrequent use (lack of frequent heat cycles which leads to lubricant draining from the bearings) which I believe is the culprit of IMS failures. Remember, this car is now going on 19 years old. Go to Pelicanparts.com and do a search and read the stories. Installing a solution is merely insurance and peace of mind. There are many low mileage early 996 cars tooling around with no IMS solution installed. I call them ticking time bombs. Just my opinion guys.