Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: new member

Hello all.

I am new to forum but have an interest in early 911's. A little background on me: I grew up in the Bay Area (huge Giants fan), restored a 65 mustang fastback as my first car in the 90's and since then have collected 60's Chevelles, Camaros, more mustangs, an impala, and some motorcycles. I have been into cars since I was young with Hot Wheels, and tootsie toys. While I have a special appreciation for the muscle cars, that I grew up around. I am in general, a classic car enthusiast, and love many German and Italian designed cars.

Porsche has always produced very attractive cars, and it is the late 60's early 70's 911 body style that I am drawn to. So while my muscle cars have crept up in value I have noticed a draw also from the early 911. I realize the 911 pulls the same value as my 69 Camaro, but I am not sure if it is going to provide the same pull or " excitement" that my 69 Camaro has. I love the looks of the 911, but if it can't pull hard, I may be disappointed. I grew up with my mom having a 67 Austin Healy 3000 (BJ8) and I am familiar with the car alright, it goes Ok for what it is (6cy with dual SU carbs- factory 150hp. curb weight 2548 lbs.) She still has it and I keep it in tune when I visit her. I am not sure if a 140hp (T) 165hp (E) or 190hp (S) is going to match the looks of the car enough to keep me satisfied with the car.
    I love the look of this car that was recently on BAT:
    https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...ign=2019-03-12

I think guys got caught up in the excitement and it went for 78k plus buyers fees would put it at 86k. A bit much for just a entry level 911 T.

I would like to get some feedback from you guys. I realize many of us muscle car guys come off as unrefined red neck peasants, but I have to start somewhere.

Is the late 60's/early 70's 911, just a glorified VW bug motor in a classy body?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by BULLITT65 View Post

I realize the 911 pulls the same value as my 69 Camaro, but I am not sure if it is going to provide the same pull or " excitement" that my 69 Camaro has. I love the looks of the 911, but if it can't pull hard, I may be disappointed.
    Pull? Pulls? Can't pull hard?

I would like to get some feedback from you guys. I realize many of us muscle car guys come off as unrefined red neck peasants, but I have to start somewhere.

Is the late 60's/early 70's 911, just a glorified VW bug motor in a classy body?
    Well, of course. Everyone knows that.
    Russ

ESR # 1537

'62 356S Notchback Hotrod
    '67 S Das Geburtstagsgeschenk
    '68 T Targa Sportomatic
    '68 L SW Targa Sportomatic
    '70 914/6 GT

How many VW's have won at Le-mans? You might want to do a little more research.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph911T View Post
    How many VW's have won at Le-mans? You might want to do a little more research.
    We are talking street cars here. If I say I own a 69 Camaro, that doesn't mean I own Mark Donahue's 69 Z/28 that won the trans am series. Yes I realize the Porsche motor is better built than the VW and has more Hp, but the basic design is similar, is my point. Unless you're trying to tell me it was stock 911 that won Le mans?
    (no dash in Le Mans I believe)

I think guys got caught up in the excitement and it went for 78k plus buyers fees would put it at 86k. A bit much for just a entry level 911 T.

Personally, I think this car wasn't bought half badly for that price. Lots of nice touches, matching numbers, a refined, tasteful hot rod. This is the reality of the market. As far as a glorified VW motor, do some digging into the 912. Comparing your Camaro to a 911 is apples to oranges. Both are great fruit, but they are quite different. To put it simply, achieving high horsepower in a 911 motor is expensive, but the beauty and appeal of these cars is that they don't need a lot of power to be driven quickly. Weigh is key...not hard to get an T like the above down to 2200 lbs. My '83 SC comes in around 2450 lbs with 200hp at the wheels. My father's '72T comes in around 2250 lbs and maybe 175 hp at the wheels from a Euro-spec 2.7. Both are a riot to drive. If you're looking for a bit more power, keep your eye on BaT for the weekly dose of hot rodded 911s, sounds more like something you'd be interested in.
    Mike
    Philly | ESR#3689
    '85 3.2C
    IG: @msmall90 | @zuffenphilly | @ruchlosrallye

K. I have not driven a 911, but in watching the video, and having driven a trans axle car of that vintage, it seems like it wasn't designed to row through the gears, like you would on an auto-cross track. Maybe I am mistaken, or they had an option for a more heavy duty linkage, that could hold up to such driving? Like a European version of a hurst linkage?
    Also it is not lost mentioning the curb weight. it is valid. So stock curb weight of a 72 (pictured above) is 2370, where are you removing 120 lbs from the car?
    I understand the stock Fuch wheels weigh less, but they seem a bit narrow. Was there an alloy wheel option that was wider back then? or only in later years with wider Fuchs?

Hello all.

I am new to forum but have an interest in early 911's. A little background on me: I grew up in the Bay Area (huge Giants fan), restored a 65 mustang fastback as my first car in the 90's and since then have collected 60's Chevelles, Camaros, more mustangs, an impala, and some motorcycles. I have been into cars since I was young with Hot Wheels, and tootsie toys. While I have a special appreciation for the muscle cars, that I grew up around. I am in general, a classic car enthusiast, and love many German and Italian designed cars.

Porsche has always produced very attractive cars, and it is the late 60's early 70's 911 body style that I am drawn to. So while my muscle cars have crept up in value I have noticed a draw also from the early 911. I realize the 911 pulls the same value as my 69 Camaro, but I am not sure if it is going to provide the same pull or " excitement" that my 69 Camaro has. I love the looks of the 911, but if it can't pull hard, I may be disappointed. I grew up with my mom having a 67 Austin Healy 3000 (BJ8) and I am familiar with the car alright, it goes Ok for what it is (6cy with dual SU carbs- factory 150hp. curb weight 2548 lbs.) She still has it and I keep it in tune when I visit her. I am not sure if a 140hp (T) 165hp (E) or 190hp (S) is going to match the looks of the car enough to keep me satisfied with the car.
    I love the look of this car that was recently on BAT:
    https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...ign=2019-03-12

My 71 911T (just a bit hotrodded) will blow the doors off my 67 Chevelle SS396 Conv in all respects. The Chevelle is a dog, can't turn, scares the sh^t out of me when I put the on brakes , but looks good, and sounds good and gets lots of looks, not that that matters. . People pull up next to it and see the bow ties on the fenders and comment "wow, a big block", I think to myself, yea it sucks gallons of premium fuel and won't get out of its own way and would be left in the dust by a Honda Civic.

Regards

Jim

That is good info Jim. I have 66 Chevelle , it is ok for straight line power, but handling, braking lack big time. My 69 Camaro does all right with the small block. The 302 is a great motor all around for me.
    When you say a bit hot rodded do you mean internally? Is it common for guys to modify the 2.4 and get quite a bit more hp out of them?

Oh and please address the shifter mechanism. Are the Porsche units built to handle quick shifting, or is it just meant to stroll around town in and a hi way cruise?

Agree with Jim. Also had a 67 Chevelle SS396 with 433hp at the crank. Sold it last year. Was a bloated pig. Did turn, didn't stop (drums all around). Could smoke bias plias for 100 yards and sounded great, but not a super enjoyable drive (bench seat). Maybe it is age (mine), but I will take the driving experience of the 170hp 911 and it's quirks over the Chevelle.
    69 911S #1379
    65 356 SC #130757

Thanks Scott. I am a younger guy compared to most. I may not have the Porsche etiquette Fred Beck is accustomed to, but I really appreciate the insight you guys are providing. I am in my late 30's and notice many guys into American or European cars are much older than myself. So they were around when these cars were new, and have better knowledge of what they are capable of and can compare them to many other models. I still would like to know how they shift, and how quickly you can safely row through the gears at speed.