Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: new member

Quote Originally Posted by BULLITT65 View Post
    We are talking street cars here. If I say I own a 69 Camaro, that doesn't mean I own Mark Donahue's 69 Z/28 that won the trans am series. Yes I realize the Porsche motor is better built than the VW and has more Hp, but the basic design is similar, is my point. Unless you're trying to tell me it was stock 911 that won Le mans?
    (no dash in Le Mans I believe)
    There isn’t a part (other than fasteners)
    That interchange with VWs in a Porsche (911) motor.

Jim
    PS: your inner redneck mentality is showing through��������. I’m one of you, too.

I understand. I was referring to an air cooled rear motor.

How about shifting Jim? how is it for the 911 shifting while negotiating the turns? quick or do you have to be patient dropping it into each gear?

Shifting is something that you need to learn with early 901 boxes... slow(ish) is better... maybe watch some in-car footage on YouTube of classic 911 racing and you'll get some idea. In my opinion, some level of mechanical sympathy helps with the shifting to get the best out of it... if you brutalize it it won't appreciate it at all... but they are immense fun to row through the gears on twisties... lightweight is key the the experience compared to US-barges...
    1966 911 Coupe - Slate Grey - 304598 - still in restoration!

Member #1616

The banter of 911 vs. Muscle Car of this tread brings to mind an old R&T Road Test . . . "2.2 Porsche 911S - Performance on the order of an American Supercar but without the stigma of low cost"

Name:  R&T 71 911S Road Test 1.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  139.9 KB

Name:  R&T 71 911S Road Test 2.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  147.4 KB

Name:  R&T 71 911S Road Test 3.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  166.0 KB
    Doug Dill

1973 911E Coupe
    PCA #1987109761
    Early 911S Registry #548

Quote Originally Posted by StephenAcworth View Post
    Shifting is something that you need to learn with early 901 boxes... slow(ish) is better...
    Shifting an early 911 is vague at best. But those of us who drive (race) early 911s do so for one reason. THEY ARE A BLAST!! it is so much fun dicing my '67 in the twisties with some dude in his daddy's GT3. Or Camaro. Tee hee. But if you like a Camaro, drive a Camaro. To each, their own.

Figure the 911 as an athlete, skilled in many ways. The Chevelle as a body builder, one dimensional.

Scott
    1968 911S
    1986 Carrera
    2006 Carrera S

1973 BMW 3.0CS - Frances (gone but not forgotten)

Well I would agree with the Chevelle analogy. My 69 Camaro is pretty stock, and with the sbc, it handles fairly good. But that is not the purpose of the thread.
    I am interested in a early 911. It seems there are good deals to be had on the T and E, especially in the undesirable colors. The one that sold on BAT was a repaint with a couple mods, and steel wheels. After looking around the net today, I think I could find a similar condition car for around 50k. The final price of that 72 T was overpriced as many get sold higher on that site.
    I do prefer stock appearance on most of my vehicles, but the really nice original ones with desirable paint colors I can see why they go towards 100k and over.

I appreciate Doug posting that article. I usually purchase period correct write ups of vehicles I am interested in, so that saved me a step.

The early 911 is an iconic body style. So much so it has defined the company and you can easily see how the same classic design is still used today. Just have to find the right one.
    Referencing that BAT car pic. Does anyone have an idea of the size of those wheels? ( they look wider than stock)

Quote Originally Posted by raspritz View Post
    Shifting an early 911 is vague at best. But those of us who drive (race) early 911s do so for one reason. THEY ARE A BLAST!! it is so much fun dicing my '67 in the twisties with some dude in his daddy's GT3. Or Camaro. Tee hee. But if you like a Camaro, drive a Camaro. To each, their own.
    ^^^^^^^^^ word
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Quote Originally Posted by BULLITT65 View Post
    Referencing that BAT car pic. Does anyone have an idea of the size of those wheels? ( they look wider than stock)
    Per BaT description; 15" x 7" wide painted steel wheels.
    Doug Dill

1973 911E Coupe
    PCA #1987109761
    Early 911S Registry #548

Xavier Petit-Jean-Boret Xavier PJB's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by raspritz View Post
    all is said here.
    O-G 26 - Early911S 2407