Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: new member

Quote Originally Posted by BULLITT65 View Post
    We are talking street cars here. If I say I own a 69 Camaro, that doesn't mean I own Mark Donahue's 69 Z/28 that won the trans am series. Yes I realize the Porsche motor is better built than the VW and has more Hp, but the basic design is similar, is my point. Unless you're trying to tell me it was stock 911 that won Le mans?
    (no dash in Le Mans I believe)
    With this logic a front-engine V-8 Ferrari is a front-engine V-8 Chevrolet...I think not.

I once lived in your world owning everything from a stock 69 Z/28 (one of my favorites owning the same car twice) to a highly modified track car a 69 Nova SS396 with a ZLX 427 all great cars in period. Then in 1984 influenced by a very good friend I purchased a 1979 911SC after my 67 Corvette was stolen and never looked back. For me their are two factors that are most important, the look as you have to be attracted to it but most important is the driving experience which the Porsche has in spades. I sometimes look back and think how cool it would be to have one of those old muscle cars from my past today, that is until I recall the driving experience :O Go out and spend some time behind the wheel of a well sorted 911 and experience it for yourself. Forget about the weigh, horsepower, even the shifting etc... you may just be pleasantly surprised : )

"I'm not gonna try it—you try it!"... "Let's get Mikey"... "he hates everything"... "He likes it!"
    Joe Annicelli
    Early 911S Registry #751
    Polo Red/Black 1967 Porsche 911S Coupe "Walter"
    Black/Red 1967 Alfa GTJr. Coupe "Nero"
    Italian Red 1994 Ducati 900SS/SP looks fast standing still
    Italian Red 1957 Gilera 150 Sport

Ahhhh the sixties... I envision myself one early Saturday morning wearing plaid shorts, black shoes with white socks smoking a cigarette heading to the hardware store to buy a bag of nails.
    SWB cars are an acquired taste however once acquired theirs no turning back.

good story. I do enjoy my 4 speed muscle cars. I am deffiently open to the 911 and the different power plant and driving experience, (that's why I am here). I plan on keeping the 60's cars I already have, but would like to expand my horizon, and the 66-72 has always been a favorite. The more I look at them the more I lean towards the 70-72. Most of my other cars are numbers matching, so (ideally) I am trying to find a similar condition 911. Surprised the Targa seems to go for much less, when I would think they would have been more expensive back then

. . . Ever?

. . . new to forum but have an interest in early 911's . . .

. . . Porsche has always produced very attractive cars, and it is the late 60's early 70's 911 body style that I am drawn to. So while my muscle cars have crept up in value I have noticed a draw also from the early 911. I realize the 911 pulls the same value as my 69 Camaro, but I am not sure if it is going to provide the same pull or " excitement" that my 69 Camaro has
    . . .
    Hm

Well, first-off --- welcome aboard! Always nice to have someone new join-in, here

I owned a '69 Camaro . . . RS, 250/350 automatic. (Gave it to my Mom --- who had it for 15 years . . . before selling it to some Lucky Schmuck in a grocery store parking lot w/o telling me 'till after-the-fact . . . @#%&*!) Also owned a '73 Firebird Trans Am, SD-455 4-speed (price one, please). Not sure what kind of excitement you're talking about/looking for, but both of these were big (>3500 lbs), noisy (yum), powerful/torquey (SD = >400 lb/ft), quick-enough (0-60 ~6-sec) --- and both actually handle (SD is a real shock to use --- amazing that anything that BIG can horn-around corners like it does) . . . but . . .

. . . no brakes

911s have really REALLY good brakes --- even before you do anything to them . . . = cosmic difference

. . . would like to get some feedback from you guys. I realize many of us muscle car guys come off as unrefined red neck peasants, but I have to start somewhere . . .
    Uuuuh --- we got a coupla those, here. I'm sure one in particular 'll be along, here/shortly

. . . Is the late 60's/early 70's 911, just a glorified VW bug motor in a classy body? . . .
    No --- especially if we're talking about an 'S'

Seven main bearing magnesium or aluminum engine case

Mechanical fuel injection

Dry-sump lubrication

1.5 hp/in3

No

Obvious Question, now is . . .

. . . have you driven one? . . .

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by LongRanger; 03-13-2019 at 03:42 PM.

We Can Be Heroes

There is much to like about my 65 K-Code Mustang; styling, engine sound, acceleration, decent fit and finish, Iaccoca's brilliance, and that fact that it served as the basis for the GT350. But the absolutely best part is how much it makes me appreciate driving my Porsche cars! From a handling standpoint, the Mustang is scary to drive, but a good way to build arm strength!
    John Schiavone

Connecticut

356 Cab, 66 911, 914-6, 550-Beck, 981 Cayman, 54 MV Agusta Dustbid

Bullitt,

I'm gonna suggest you think about skipping the early car altogether for now (seriously). They are nice cars but I think based on where you come from and what you expect, you might enjoy something like an 80s Carrera more for a lot less $. Half, at least...hell, even something modern like a 997 turbo (still less money than a nice long hood 911) would knock your socks off - it'll pull and handle and brake... Aside from all the folks here who bought those cars new and never sold them, the early 911 is something a lot of us worked up to, starting with a more modern Porsche and going for nostalgia and the feel/purity of an early car.

I would agree that paying $80K for a 70T today as a complete Porsche 911 newbie and then driving one for the first time might come as a bit of shock and could possibly lead to disappointment... it's more of an acquired taste that you develop over time, in my experience. I remember when I got my first 911 (an 83SC, coming out of a Corrado VR6) my first thought was "what kind of tractor have I just bought?"...Then I did track days and learned to drive the thing, and it was good. Very good...

If you do stick with the plan of a long hood car, I would suggest a 72-73 - At least you will get a 915 box with a conventional H pattern you are likely more familiar with, and more torque from a 2.4... I put a JWest gate on mine and the shifting is pretty damn perfect. Those cars are more about handling and learning how to drive them, at speed they steer as much with the gas pedal as they do with the steering wheel. They put power down extremely well too, and their relatively smaller HP is "real" and the engine weight on the driving wheels ensures all of it gets put down to the pavement exceptionally well (I've driven some classic american iron that puts up crazy big HP numbers and feels slow or just spins the wheels all the time). Also as mentioned above, a few suspension mods and/or engine work makes for early cars that "hang" with modern machinery on twisty roads, it is that good a base.... Just food for thought.
    Greg.
    ----------
    72 911T - 73 2002

I appreciate the time you guys have taken to address my concerns. I also have a 65 Fastback, and yes handling is sh*t. But I love the looks of the body, and power is ok for a unibody light weight pony car. My 69 Camaro handles better, brakes better, and the 302 is fun motor around town. But I would hope the Porsche is way better on at least the handling, less weight, better distribution, with the right tires, I think it could be a lot of fun. I agree I may have a let down with the power, but I suspect if you modify the motor internally there is still some HP left on the table that can be had.
    Plus my 60's cars can be spanked by many new cars on the road, and I am ok with that. Just making sure with a few tweaks, that a future 911 for me can at least hang with similar vintage cars, or perform better.

I know myself, and it is the classic look of the early 911 that does it for me. I like other models, but the 911 would have to be the stepping stone towards those. I have recently seen the 911 prices come down from last years highs at Amelia island. So I think it is a good time to look at them, just matter of finding the right one.
    Have I driven one ? NO

Which before I purchase I will drive one. I did want to hear the owners perspective ahead of time, since my test drive will likely not get the car into the high rpm band enough where the car responds better.

Character

. . . Have I driven one ? NO

. . . before I purchase I will drive one . . . . my test drive will likely not get the car into the high rpm band enough where the car responds better
    . . .
    This 'll be interesting

If you haven't driven a Porsche, yet, then --- from your earlier reference . . . maybe you've driven a Volkswagen? Because --- IMO . . . a lot of the sounds/smells/'feel' are very similar. I went from my Super Duty to a Type III VW . . . and haven't had a pony car since

You won't need high rpms to experience these cars. Early 911s don't have any power assist --- in either their steering or brakes . . . which you may not notice, at first. 'Till the first bump. Or road-surface change. The way these cars go down the road is what still impresses me. Bumps are heard more than felt, and the steering has this wonderful weight + feel that makes me forget that the car is a half-a-century old. Things are close inside, but comfortable. Switches and controls are a bit of a mess --- but the gauges? . . . nothing like seeing everything laid out in front of the driver like that. Depending on the 'box, gear-changing takes some care, and --- depending on the engine . . . some definite deliberation

I think that's what I enjoy the most about these cars . . . the intensity, the sheer concentration required to 'get' what these cars have to offer. 'll take some getting used-to --- especially after riding around in cars with leaf-springs and push rods

Looking forward to reading your impressions of your first 911 drive

We Can Be Heroes

Well that is what I like about the early Mustangs, is no power assist and a great ride. The 289 (non K code) is not a powerhouse, but for the light body delivers good power. Handling ....not so much.

I also agree on the dash layout, very cool. Reminds me, of a Jet cockpit.

So I will just have to find a dealer or one of you members to show me the ropes on a early 911. ��

. . . just have to find a dealer or one of you members to show me the ropes on a early 911 . . .
    Hm. 'At's how I did it . . .

Quote Originally Posted by LongRanger View Post
    . . . Bert, I really enjoyed meeting you. And that amazing car of yours. I've been in a few long-hoods --- but yours was the first I ever drove. What a way to get introduced to these cars . . .
    . . . and this was the car . . .
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...l=1#post729466

My only advice to you would be to drive the kind of car you expect to buy --- whether that's an original/un-restored car . . . or a Hot Rod or RS Replika

Regardless, I think it's a good time to buy, so . . .

. . . enjoy your choices

We Can Be Heroes