Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: First CoA, then PPS, now CTC?

When I was told about this several weeks ago from a Classic Center official, he told me the cost was going to be $200.00, His argument was this is a good deal. If you were to pay for a current CoA it would cost $110, and you would not get the precious engine/transmission information, and if you are not an expert, you might not know what other dimensions of the original car have been modified or removed. Now you will get information allowing you to document engine/transmission originality along with other special equipment. In addition with the new process you are getting a major safety inspection. I'm merely reporting what I was told, not advocating or criticizing. I does seem, though, that some of us far away from a designated Porsche Classic Center are at a real disadvantage on this as Steve Shea pointed out above.

Just ridiculous and it's going to keep some cars from being sold at their full value. I just bought a 24k-mile, original paint, paint-to-sample 911SC and paid up to get it. I wouldn't have without verification of matching numbers and the car was not local to a Porsche Classic Center.

PCNA doesn't care about the ramifications to those of us who own and trade in old Porsches. This is all about keeping PCNA from being drug into something like the Seinfeld litigation mess. You can bet that even when someone does get the new special CTC, it will have many disclaimers to the effect that they don't really certify any of the info provided as being correct. FYI only...
    - Arne
    Current - 2018 718 Cayman, Rhodium Silver, PDK

Sold - 1972 911T coupe, Silver Metallic; 1984 911 Carrera coupe, Chiffon white; 1973 914 2.0, Saturn Yellow; 1984 944, Silver Metallic

I believe there will come a time when manufacturers will argue that your use of their product may reflect negatively on their carefully managed image, and attempt to limit you. In other words, Porsche will attempt to tell you how you must maintain, operate, and even market your Porsche. It could also be a logical extension of the notions fostered by ambulance chasers that manufacturers have responsibility for damages caused by operator error. If Porsche can be sued because some bozo balls up a C-GT doing triple digits on a neighborhood street, why wouldn't they attempt to argue they have a real interest in how the car is used after purchase. When one sees the glitz and pomp accompanying "big" Porsche events of the past decade, its easy to imagine a regular guy like me with a half-dozen imperfect old cars, maintained by my own hand, housed in a modest barn, might be deemed "unsuitable" for their image. I know it sounds far-fetched, but the world seems to be getting stranger by the day.

I agree that the CTC & PPS are of less value than the CoA ever was. Sure makes the Kardex valuable; only available until end of 1969 model year, not for any 911xxxxxxx, 912xxxxxxx, 914xxxxxxx or 930xxxxxxx VIN.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

Golly,
    I just completed my application to PCNA for my PPS tonight. My 1971 911T has been in the family since it was purchased used by my BIL in 1972 from a Porsche dealership. I have all service records since.
    It has no Kardex because it was originally sold in August, 1970. I wish that I had obtained a CoA during the 37 years that I could have.
    Thanks for the info above.
    At least I saved the postage.
    Fred

So, say you're restoring a car from a tub and boxes of parts. What are they going to inspect? And how can you restore it with proper interior, exterior and options it came with. Crazy.
    72S, 72T now ST

Well, the PPS is supposed to still document colors and options, same as before. Also the completion date, if available. But it will have no mention of engine or transmission numbers. So, I suppose one could request the PPS to get the proper build options, then later have the car inspected to get the full blown CTC to document engine and transmission number (assuming the transmission number hasn't been ground away like so many have).

Seems convoluted. And ironically, I did call Porsche a couple weeks ago and asked if I could verify matching engine number on my car over the phone, as I have done with other Porsches in the past. Back in 2013 or '14, they basically gave me the full read out over the phone on a VIN of a car I was considering. Engine number, transmission number, colors, options, all of it. Last month, I had to give them the VIN and the engine number in the car. They took that info from me, and then called me back 2 days later to tell me that it matched. I assumed that the person now had the record in front of them, and asked if he could read me the option codes. He said he didn't have that. He could get specific questions answered (such as "does such and such engine match VIN so and so"), but did not have access to the full record.
    - Arne
    Current - 2018 718 Cayman, Rhodium Silver, PDK

Sold - 1972 911T coupe, Silver Metallic; 1984 911 Carrera coupe, Chiffon white; 1973 914 2.0, Saturn Yellow; 1984 944, Silver Metallic

What is the 800 number for the factory info over the phone? Thanks Chris
    1. Chris-Early S Registry#205
    2. '70 911S Tangerine
    3. '68 911L Euro Ossi Blue

Banned
    All of this is rather boring. Whatever did we do before CoAs were even offered? Oh, that's right; we didn't care.

It's the Golden Rule; those with the gold, rule. It is what it is. One can kick against the goads or figure out how to capitalize within the system.

Seems to me the only real "so what?" in all of this is that a wider chasm will develop between questionable/marginal cars and vetted cars with providence. Some sellers/buyers will be left without a chair but fortunately some will be simply buying hardware; just like the good old days. If providence can't be verified then the car should be on sale.

My hunch is that Porsche will do more to hurt their brand than any profit they could yield in this hairbrain scheme. The bean counters over there need to stick to helping the engineers make plastic instead of pretending to be the smartest ones in vintage car room.