Thread: SWB Insert Help Needed

SWB Insert Help Needed

I’m restoring a (Bali Blue) 65 911 that originally came fitted with oil filled front strut dampeners. I have a pair of Koni strut inserts 82R 1394, which I believe to be correct for Boge struts. However, as shown in the photo, the orange Koni insert is slightly longer and has a larger diameter at the top than the original (bottom) and Boge inset (center). Since I don’t have a cap, and before I go looking for one, can someone tell me if these Konis will fit into the Boge struts and that appropriate caps are available that will fit over the top of the Konis. The other photos shows the original cap.

Thanks in advance for any assistance
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    John Schiavone

Connecticut

356 Cab, 66 911, 914-6, 550-Beck, 981 Cayman, 54 MV Agusta Dustbid

Banned
    As long as the insert doesn’t “rock” and is seated tight by the nut the Koni should work. You are sure the Koni nut thread fits the housing, right?

How about pics of that beautiful Bali Blue?

John

The Koni insert is probably for a SWB Koni strut. Those are wider at the top than Boge struts. Get the number off the insert and confirm my suspicions.

Regards

Jim

Thanks much Jim - -the number on the Koni insert is in fact 82R 1394. My research shows that is correct number to fit Boge strut. (86-1308 shows Koni insert into Koni strut)

Frank, I don't have a Koni nut/cap yet, I need to source one. Here's a photo of Bali Blue fresh out of paint (single stage Glasurit)....
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    John Schiavone

Connecticut

To close out what I've learned. Koni 82R-1394 is the old part number, indicates struts are 20+ years old. New number for Koni insert for SWB Boge strut is 86-1394, which includes gland nut.
    John Schiavone

Connecticut

John,
    Interestingly, I disassembled my 66 911 front Boge struts this weekend and found the exact same adjustable Koni 82R-1394 inserts dated 7/67.
    An email to Koni implied that rebuiding was not economical and that they are superceded to the 86-1394 classics.
    I'd be interested in hearing anyone else's opinion on ride quality with any and all options.
    Thanks!
    George Thielen
    Dayton, OH

I'm a ways off in my resto to give any ride quality info, but here's additional product info on using the superseded 86-1394 Koni inserts in early Boge struts. Unlike the older Koni 82R-1394 inserts, the gland nut when using the newer versions will not screw in flush with top of strut, bottoms out with a gap of about 3-4mm. I'm told by Paragon, the supplier in my case, that this is "normal" and to tighten using blue loctite.
    John Schiavone

Connecticut

Quote Originally Posted by John912 View Post
    To close out what I've learned. Koni 82R-1394 is the old part number, indicates struts are 20+ years old. New number for Koni insert for SWB Boge strut is 86-1394, which includes gland nut.
    Would the 86 1394 Koni fit my Boge housing on my 68 SWB Targa 912? Thank you.

As far as I know Boge front struts were the same for 911/912 through 68, but someone should confirm
    John Schiavone

Connecticut