Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: clear battery pole plastic covers

clear battery pole plastic covers

Looking for 6 clear plastic covers for the battey poles

Picture of the 73T 700miles car shown here years ago.

z%20DSCN9143.jpg

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    In spite of the picture, a heavy shaped rubber block belongs over the + battery pole and cable end. Looks like it might be under plastic cover. IMO the plastic cover doesn’t belong. Frank come in, over. G

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    Here is pix of rubber block. One in place the other upside down.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The low mileage, original '70S car shows what looks to be a black plastic cover. It could be the "rubber block".

Is there a source for these?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Tom Butler
    1973 RSR Clone
    1970 911E
    914-6 GT Clone in Progress

I just checked and Stoddard shows them. I learned something new....Thanks

The PET show (2) of these so I assume (1) for each positive terminal??
    Tom Butler
    1973 RSR Clone
    1970 911E

My OPC dealer thinks that the plastic cover goes on top of the rubber block. The rubber block alone has carbon content so if it rubs against the chassis and gets damaged you can get a short (this happened to me). The plastic cover over the rubber block should stop this.

Quote Originally Posted by 911GP View Post
    My OPC dealer thinks that the plastic cover goes on top of the rubber block. The rubber block alone has carbon content so if it rubs against the chassis and gets damaged you can get a short (this happened to me). The plastic cover over the rubber block should stop this.
    That’s what the PET shows. The rubber Block is covered by a plastic cover. The PET shows this only on the positive side, not the ground side. I’m curious if both need the rubber block and the cover.
    Tom Butler
    1973 RSR Clone
    1970 911E

If someone has one of the clear ones, maybe use it as a basis to copy one with a 3D printer...
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

I'm with gled49 , some of the original Porsche batteries simply did not have these clear covers . The 700 mile '70S of course has a newer battery that has the cover . Bottom line - the cover came with the battery , it was not a Porsche part .

The image from edition II 9.72 factory spare parts manual (original paper copy so not muddied or having doubts by suspercession etc that can confuse originality questions if using www PET as a snapshot in time --although probaly not different in this instance ).

Screenshot_20190329-091332~3.jpg
    Screenshot_20190329-092016~2.jpg
    Vintage image in an early 911 all historical publications courtesy of Porsche
    Screenshot_20190330-154633~3.jpg

Seems likley many got lost or tossed due to battery changes over the years. When next at car storage I'll post picture of ones for my 12/72 car although someone will probably beat me to it if someone has an original pair of the positive terminal covers handy.

Hope this helps

Steve

Paper version sometimes misleads e.g.in this case not totally accurate data point for all model quantities since some homologation RS from early series depending on conversion order only had one battery!
    Last edited by 911MRP; 03-30-2019 at 10:53 AM. Reason: Replace missing image