Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: clear battery pole plastic covers

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    On the 2 original cars, my observation is the plastic covers fit poorly over the rubber blocks. G

True, but do those "original cars" still have their original factory batteries and carefully aligned leads -- if not might that contribute to the poor fit of the positive terminal cover pairing when viewed today? Not arguing it looks a great fit solution but from parts catalogue the pair illustrated /listed it does appear to be the correct to have two original factory parts and are similar to two pairs have from memory although haven't looked at them really close.

Aren't today's plastic covers black?.
    Last edited by 911MRP; 03-31-2019 at 04:17 PM.

When I sold tires and batteries for a living in the late '70s through the '90s, replacement batteries with recessed posts for German cars all came with those covers. They were considered part of the battery, not a replacement part from the car manufacturer. VW and BMW batteries all came with new covers. Probably Porsche batteries as well, but I can't recall selling many Porsche batteries in those days.
    - Arne
    Current - 2018 718 Cayman, Rhodium Silver, PDK

Sold - 1972 911T coupe, Silver Metallic; 1984 911 Carrera coupe, Chiffon white; 1973 914 2.0, Saturn Yellow; 1984 944, Silver Metallic

In the parts book illustration I posted there are two holes in battery and corresponding pips. Probably helped secure the uppermost.

Coincidentally I was trickle charging a VW factory supplied battery today from a current golf family runaround it has the same two holes on that position. Think it is the same 063 battery but didn't look carefully.

The cover items in question do have part numbers in the original 72/3 paper oarts catalog as pictured above 999 .....and 901..... numbers. Presumably they could've been ordered using those back in the day?

The parts seem available from Porsche today but uppermost one is a suspercession and think it is now black therefore to op maybe not excally as it was in 73 if important.

Folks have obsessed over equally small details here so originals in correct colour and material quite best if not binned at first battery change back in the day!
    Last edited by 911MRP; 03-31-2019 at 04:42 PM.

.............photo of one original pair as promised ....IMG_20190401_103920.jpg

regarding fit..the uppermost white plastic one has a integral clip on one edge for the lip of the battery and as mentioned a pair of locating pins/pips about 1 cm long on other so the factory battery had and any replacement ought to have corresponding lip/holes to locate it securely. The parts illustration and the later Moll battery have those locating holes on the surface in the former case just for positive terminal which makes sense as this is to help protect against a short in the confines of battery boxes.
    IMG_20190401_103542.jpg

It is not actually clear material it is white slightly see through hard material illustrated in second shot. I wouldn't like to bend it at the "hinge line" these days without warming it as it might snap but one-time was probably more maliable to allow it to be flipped up. The one in OP appears to have yellowed compared to my white opaque example pictured here or probably a different colour material batch.

Hope these photos help as I suppose many of the original pairs have gone missing. I've seen various "Heath Robinson" attempts to wedge insulating things in the space to give some sort of short protection given the proximity of the edge of battery box to the +ve post and terminal block. Others no protection! I guess those folks who did that assumed it's only 12v so didn't give it much thought ... Hmm
    https://youtu.be/xESCXFz8ZQE
    Last edited by 911MRP; 04-01-2019 at 03:22 AM.

Found 3 pairs at Strähle Swap. Can been closed