This afternoon did not go well. I may well be the poster child for why average home mechanics should not mess with MFI.

Despite my best intentions of keeping track of where I was and what changes I was making, I believe I am well and truly lost. I suspect that at least once, when I was slowly turning the idle adjuster waiting to feel the tang drop, it had already dropped and was randomly turning the adjuster. I now have no clue where I am, or how to get to some sort of baseline.

As of now, the car is hard to start, doesn't want to idle, smokes black when at what passes for idle, and pops a lot when held at higher revs (2k to 3k) with no load. It is no longer warm enough to make good adjustments, but isn't running well enough to be able to drive it to get it warm.

Definitely seems very rich at low RPM, no longer sure what it's like at higher speeds.

Despite the thinking that the main rack was rich, I'm still thinking that it may have been lean. (Who knows what it's like now.) I say this because while driving it to warm it up to temp this afternoon (before I screwed it all up), it ran great until the thermostat dropped it into full lean. Pulled strong and clean, no popping or bucking, just like I feel it should run. And then when it finally got to temp, it got bad. Popping, bucking, won't pull up a grade, way down on power. Still made me think the main rack setting was lean.

But now? Who knows where I'm at.

Any suggestions on how I recover from this and get to some sort of starting point?