Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: FS: 48k-mile Conda Green beauty available for a few days before listed on BaT

I think this is the nicest early 911 I’ve ever seen.

The beige gray barn find T which the new owner painstakingly cleaned up is also very original and comes close but not quite as good as this.

It’s a piece of history.

Regards
    Mike
    RS#1551(sold)
    67S
    73E (home after 25 years) and sold again
    Early S reg. #681

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 210bhp View Post

It’s a piece of history.
    If it wasn’t before it certainly is now!

In this so called softer market, it shows that the top cars do top money anyway. There are not that many "cream of the crop"cars out there.

Quote Originally Posted by rower View Post
    Don’t wax too poetic about it being the “best ever.” There are preservation class cars out there that are clearly better. I just looked again last week at a 1965 911 that won preservation class several years ago - there’s no comparison. The small details and preparation become really important. The conda green car probably requires several tens of thousands to prepare it to go that level and it wouldn’t be competitive. So yes compared to almost all others it’s a great car, story and color - but it’s not in the top 0.5%. I’m looking at photos now of a crazy good example of a 73E. It’s a small subculture of these cars though. The problem owning these cars is you have to be really careful about them. Extraordinarily so. So you don’t see them out that often and hence maybe it’s not worth it owning them unless you are obsessed about it.

Nothing in this is meant to take away from the Conda green car. It was well sold and bought. It’s a car to be proud of. But don’t make it the holy grail (it’s Easter!) as it’s not.
    I think this totally depends on what you are looking for in an original car. I’m not a ‘pebble beach lawn’ perfectionist type of guy. This car is the best I’ve seen ‘for me’. A guy who wants to use an original (or near original) 911, not worried about the stone chips so much as enjoying driving a car close to how it came from the factory in one of the best colours. Not interested in winning prizes but just gazing at that undercarriage paint (flaws and all) turns ‘me’ on and dreaming about the very day and the very worker who painted it. Thinking about the miles of adventures the original owner(s) spent together on sunny Californian days in their pride and joy. I’d rather spend tens of thousands on gas and continue to enjoy the ride rather than display a cabinet full of cut glass decanters, medals and certificates.

Regards
    Mike
    RS#1551(sold)
    67S
    Early S reg. #681

(
    I think this totally depends on what you are looking for in an original car. I’m not a ‘pebble beach lawn’ perfectionist type of guy. This car is the best I’ve seen ‘for me’. A guy who wants to use an original (or near original) 911, not worried about the stone chips so much as enjoying driving a car close to how it came from the factory in one of the best colours. Not interested in winning prizes but just gazing at that undercarriage paint (flaws and all) turns ‘me’ on and dreaming about the very day and the very worker who painted it. Thinking about the miles of adventures the original owner(s) spent together on sunny Californian days in their pride and joy. I’d rather spend tens of thousands on gas and continue to enjoy the ride rather than display a cabinet full of cut glass decanters, medals and certificates.

Regards
    Mike
    That’s completely legitimate. (Though I think you might be conflating the normal pebble beach awards for best in class with what I am referencing which is the preservation awards for most original, stone chips and all. Very different.

And preservation isn’t about chasing awards. It’s about seeking purity and going to extremes as a hobby. Doing the research. Learning how the factory did it.
    Last edited by rower; 04-21-2019 at 10:31 PM.

Fair point. I misunderstood the pebble beach thing.
    I’m in the UK and we get precious few cars appearing like the conda green car and understanding originality is a dying culture here (as far as I can see) with a diminishing number aware of what is original as the waters get muddied with ‘total restorations’ that are just plain incorrect in many instances. I’m sure you know far more than me. If it had been me I’d have left the original dash top with the tiny crack because that IS the one the car was built with (but maybe it was sold with the car) and that flaw in itself tells a story.
    I guess this is all pretty much immaterial in the long run as there are far more important things to worry about in the world than a cracked dash but while I am here and while I have a passion I was just stating that this car (up to now) is the one that’s turned me on the most, not just for the car but for the story, the attitude of the original owners, the seller and the way it has been looked after. It may not be perfect to you but it presses a lot of my buttons.

I appreciate all the things you said too.

Regards
    Mike
    RS#1551(sold)
    67S
    Early S reg. #681

. . . think this is the nicest early 911 I’ve ever seen.

The beige gray barn find T which the new owner painstakingly cleaned up is also very original and comes close but not quite as good as this.

It’s a piece of history
    . . .

Whew --- bold statement

The Minnesota 'barn-find' . . .
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ght=9113100478

Always preferred un-restored cars, myself --- 'cause, IMO . . . even ratty-original trumps shiny-restored, any day

Here's a thread-full of OG goodness . . .
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...-original-cars

. . . few o' my favs . . .
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...l=1#post584014
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...l=1#post600793
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...al-cars/page14

. . . and, of course, this --- the 700-mile S . . .
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...l=1#post715313

Considering what this 'E' brought --- still sitting on 14s . . .

. . . what would the BaT crowd make of some of these? . . . .

. . . or an RSL? . . .
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...l=1#post812666

. . . or an RSL w/7k mi? . . .
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...sule-73-RS-471

Last edited by LongRanger; 04-22-2019 at 01:45 PM.

We Can Be Heroes

I'm glad I was able to own and drive 356's and early 900's back when they were just cars and I wasn't trying to preserve anything.
    Steve Shea #1 joined a long time ago
    58 speedster
    66 912
    67S
    73S
    97 VW eurovan
    1132 honda snowblower

member Jackson Hole Ski Club