Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can this Leistritz be saved?

Interesting. Made me wonder what I have on my car now, so I crawled under to look. Mine is a Bischoff. Sounds pretty good to me.
    - Arne
    Current - 2018 718 Cayman, Rhodium Silver, PDK

Sold - 1972 911T coupe, Silver Metallic; 1984 911 Carrera coupe, Chiffon white; 1973 914 2.0, Saturn Yellow; 1984 944, Silver Metallic

Afraid that muffler is gone.....my welder fab guy has brazed isolated pin holes, but there is a limit.
    Agree with Chuck! Save the tail pipe.
    Mark Smedley
    '59 VW Typ I
    '69 911T 2.7
    '86 930
    '04 GT3
    '16 Boxster GTS
    '08 MBZ AMG CLK 63 Black Series

Quote Originally Posted by smedley View Post
    Afraid that muffler is gone.....my welder fab guy has brazed isolated pin holes, but there is a limit.
    Agree with Chuck! Save the tail pipe.
    We shall see. Metal guy is going to cut a window in it so we can see how bad the internals are. If it's tinworm city in there, I'll have him cut off the tailpipe and that will be that.

Finally got around to this. Good news, the rust is localized and the internals look great. It was rusted where the two outer bulkheads are spot-welded to the external can. The bulkheads themselves are fine. My metal guy is going to wire wheel the crust away, hose everything down with some zinc spray, and weld the windows up. And then braze the pinholes. Hopefully this buys me a few years or more with this Leistritz.

I'm wondering if I should have it acid dipped to remove the rust and ceramic coated. Then it'd basically be good for life, no? Has anyone tried this?
    Attached Images Attached Images       

If you're in no hurry there's a couple of things you can do before welding. Taking a leaf from guys who restore old machinery, you could soak it in white vinegar, which is a mild, cheap derusting and cleaning agent for a week or two. Most people are amazed and unaware of what vinegar can do. Then soak it in one of the phosphate derusting and coating conversion solutions, my favorite is "The Must for Rust", but Evapo-Rust seems to be popular. You'll have far more protection on it than it left the factory with, and it will be ready for any paint you want. Most of the ceramic coatings, I believe, are only applied on the external surface. Look on Craigslist for a cheap plastic utility sink to soak it in.

You can go completely nuts and cut a tidy hole and have it galvanized, then seal the hole on the side with a stainless steel cover held on with high temp fasteners. I've actually seen this. If done well looks very aerospace.
    Bill S

Thanks Bill, interesting info. I think these mufflers are special enough to save. My metal guy did a nice job cleaning up the muffler, welding up pinholes, etc. I don't know much about how this works but it'd be great to be able to dunk it in something that removes the remaining rust inside and out, then dunk it in something else that preserves the metal inside and out (these are highly technical chemistry terms ). I suspect that would preserve it forever. I'm on the hunt for a company that does this as I don't think I'm going to set this up at home.

I totally agree with the “quiet and mellow” preference. What kind of new mufflers are a good choice for this? I currently have this one installed, not sure who makes them:
    https://www.vankesselsportscars.com/...1-20-22-24.htm

I now found out that I have a steel Dansk muffler. So it looks like there's room for improvement here. Any tips on which new muffler brands fit the "quiet and mellow" description? I'm looking for a sweet and deep exhaust note rather than "loud and tinny". Thanks in advance!

I have heard that the Porsche Classic muffler is very good. Also pricey. Does anyone here have experience with it?
    Steve Shea #1 joined a long time ago
    58 speedster
    66 912
    67S
    73S
    97 VW eurovan
    1132 honda snowblower

member Jackson Hole Ski Club

Forgot to update this. My local metal guy did a nice job cutting out the two rust areas and welding in patches. He also welded up the handful of pinholes around the muffler can. After I got it back I sanded down the areas of surface rust, used a POR-15 type product to coat those areas, and then dusted the whole thing with hi-temp exhaust primer. Should be good for a few more years, hopefully more. Got the engine back in the car (also did a gearbox swap, RMS, and other misc maintenance) and the Leistritz sounds great.
    Attached Images Attached Images