Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can this Leistritz be saved?

Quote Originally Posted by Noah View Post
    I bought it for a couple hundred bucks back in 2014 knowing it had a dozen pinholes, so I knew what I was getting into. Wish it could be saved. How hard could it be -- zip open the hot dog with a cutoff wheel, deal with the rust, and weld it closed? I can't stand the sound of the Dansks, they are loud and tinny, I like quiet and mellow.
    The problem is that the interior baffles are likely just as roached or worse, so there will be metal forming a plenty. But as you say, how hard could it be? Open that can 'o worms and please post photos.
    Russ

ESR # 1537

'62 356S Notchback Hotrod
    '67 S Das Geburtstagsgeschenk
    '68 T Targa Sportomatic
    '68 L SW Targa Sportomatic
    '70 914/6 GT

While cutting it open is no problem, welding the likely paper thin rusted metal will be. No telling how much metal you’ll have to cut away to find solid enough metal to weld to.
    1969 911S
    1969 Datsun 2000...worth less, but more valuable

I bought it for a couple hundred bucks back in 2014 knowing it had a dozen pinholes, so I knew what I was getting into. Wish it could be saved. How hard could it be -- zip open the hot dog with a cutoff wheel, deal with the rust, and weld it closed? I can't stand the sound of the Dansks, they are loud and tinny, I like quiet and mellow.
    It's worth a try, what you find inside may surprise you. We had an engine on the stand one time, a 356 motor, it fired up and was holding an idle. But within a few minutes pink insulation starting coming out the tail pipes, and then came the acorns. Just imagine an engine on the stand with the muffler at crotch height, and then flying acorns at the same height, it was funny and painful. Poor mouse house was destroyed.

---Adam
    If you're reading this and you are not yet an Early 911S Registry member, Join Now!
    Early 911S Registry Member 1372
    Check out Unobtanium-Inc.com
    New blog posts all the time!

The play (or by-play) such as appears in posts 3, 4, 5, and 7 isn't adding to anyone's enjoyment. If there are personal issues involved why not take them outside the forum.

Noah , I agree the Dansks sound terrible , but the mufflers sold by Porsche sound ok . Shop for the best price .

I found a local metal guy who's going to open it up and take a look. He's fixed a few of these before. Dropping it off tomorrow, fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by Richy View Post
    Noah , I agree the Dansks sound terrible , but the mufflers sold by Porsche sound ok . Shop for the best price .
    Thank you for this information. You answered my question on the sound quality of the Porsche muffler. I didn't want to buy a Dansk because of the reported tinny sound, but wondered about the sound from the Porsche muffler. Porsche muffler is not cheap but I am going to buy one. This discussion on the Leistritz has convinced me to stop searching for one.
    David

911 S Registry # 1054
    1970 911 E Coupe Signal Orange (#1414)
    1979 BMW 320i
    2001 Boxster S
    2003 Audi Allroad 2.7T Tiptronic
    2014 Jetta Sportwagon TDI DSG ( sold back to Volkswagen)
    2015 Allroad 2.0 TFSI

Do all Dansks sound tinny, or just the stainless models? I've experienced (on other cars) that stainless mufflers often have a tinny sound. In one case, I tried 2 mufflers from the same manufacturer, one stainless and one mild steel. The mild steel sounded fine, the stainless one had an unpleasant tinny sound and resonance. Makes me wonder about the non-stainless Dansks.
    - Arne
    Current - 2018 718 Cayman, Rhodium Silver, PDK

Sold - 1972 911T coupe, Silver Metallic; 1984 911 Carrera coupe, Chiffon white; 1973 914 2.0, Saturn Yellow; 1984 944, Silver Metallic

I had a non-stainless Dansk on my car before I found the Leistritz. It was the standard early 911 muffler repro. I know I have strong opinions about this, but to me the Dansk is simply terrible. The Leistritz sound is mellow, deep, and has that classic 911 subtle whine at low RPM's. The Dansk is not only louder but the tone is cheap and raspy. The Dansk also gets much louder at higher RPM's than the Leistritz. The internals of these mufflers must be very different.

I had a non-stainless Dansk on my car before I found the Leistritz. It was the standard early 911 muffler repro. I know I have strong opinions about this, but to me the Dansk is simply terrible. The Leistritz sound is mellow, deep, and has that classic 911 subtle whine at low RPM's. The Dansk is not only louder but the tone is cheap and raspy. The Dansk also gets much louder at higher RPM's than the Leistritz. The internals of these mufflers must be very different.
    Who builds the Porsche muffler? Dansk?
    David

911 S Registry # 1054
    1970 911 E Coupe Signal Orange (#1414)
    1979 BMW 320i
    2001 Boxster S
    2003 Audi Allroad 2.7T Tiptronic
    2014 Jetta Sportwagon TDI DSG ( sold back to Volkswagen)
    2015 Allroad 2.0 TFSI