Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 73.5 911 restoration question ! Bumpers

73.5 911 restoration question ! Bumpers

I'm in the middle of a restoration project on a 1973.5 911 T targa. My question is, what is the correct type of bumperets for this car ? I seen some with the front all rubber, seen some without any bumperett . I'm started to get very confused ! The same question is for the rear !? I'm
    Doing a concourse restoration so I don't want to make a mistake on the bumpers ! According to the COA the car got S trim.
    Please let me know ! Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by LV911 View Post
    I'm in the middle of a restoration project on a 1973.5 911 T targa. My question is, what is the correct type of bumperets for this car ? I seen some with the front all rubber, seen some without any bumperett . I'm started to get very confused ! The same question is for the rear !? I'm
    Doing a concourse restoration so I don't want to make a mistake on the bumpers ! According to the COA the car got S trim.
    Please let me know ! Thank you
    I took 2 years looking for a '73 so trawled through a LOT of cars for sale and background information. I only ever saw the large all rubber items on the CIS 73.5 cars. The early 73 cars (US models) had a mallet bumperette that had the same profile as the earlier chrome and black rubber models. Dr Johnson's book is a little ambiguous and could be read as suggesting the smaller guards only appeared on the very early 1973 cars made in the first 2-3 months of production as parts were run out and the larger rubber ones were the only 'real' 1973 guards; the rest being essentially 1972 leftovers.

Interestingly, the PET illustrates both front and rear but does not then have a listed part number for them.

Someone else here may well have more useful information.

Cheers,
    Mark
    Early S #2826

Garage:
    '73 E (2.7RS replica) - sold
    '94 968 Clubsport M030 - sold
    '67 250SE Cabriolet - sold
    '71 Skyline GT - sold
    '69 911S - sold
    '73 911T/RS

The 73.5 cis came with the big rubber bumpers.
    Name:  DSC00225.jpg
Views: 542
Size:  109.6 KB
    E Sully
    1973.5 911T

The small black painted bumper guards were used until January 73 production. That is when the U.S. D.O.T. rules became effective requiring the bigger guards. A CIS car as Sully pointed out, would only have had the big guards.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Thank you for all the info. Thank you for the picture also. Can you guys post up one from the back one also ?

Quote Originally Posted by LV911 View Post
    Thank you for all the info. Thank you for the picture also. Can you guys post up one from the back one also ?
    I don't have a decent photo, but here are grabs of front and rear from the PET

Name:  Screen Shot 2014-09-18 at 9.36.58 PM.png
Views: 475
Size:  56.0 KB
    Name:  Screen Shot 2014-09-18 at 9.36.20 PM.png
Views: 487
Size:  88.8 KB

Cheers,
    Mark
    Early S #2826

Garage:
    '73 E (2.7RS replica) - sold
    '94 968 Clubsport M030 - sold
    '67 250SE Cabriolet - sold
    '71 Skyline GT - sold
    '69 911S - sold
    '73 911T/RS

Here you go
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Ron

1973.5 911T
    1974 BMW R90/6
    1986 Carrera, Plan "B"
    1987 BMW K100RS Motorsport
    2004 BMW X3 6 speed manual transmisson

Name:  Left Side View.jpg
Views: 486
Size:  127.3 KB

This is another photo of the rear. The front ones are so ugly that no one actually keeps them on the car.

Name:  73 911 Exhaust 2.jpg
Views: 400
Size:  68.8 KB

I use a set from a 1972. I kept the originals just in case someone might want to restore the car to the ugly look.

Richard Newton

The early 73 US cars had the metal bumperettes with the bolt on rubber piece but were coated black instead of chrome. These are depicted in Richard's post with the silver 911S. I have a set of chromes that I'm going to put on my 73.5 and I'll save the "Rubber Baby Buggy Bumpers" for posterity!
    -Chris Mohr

S Registry #1978

I have a set of 73.5 (all rubber) bumperettes if you need them.

Pat
    510-579-1887
    patsmith45@comcast.net