Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Door pockets for not so deep pockets

Hi Tom,

I did mine a few months ago. Your work is amazing. Congratulations, well done.

Ray

Very interesting and the outcome looks great.

Is it possible to buy all of the parts needed, including new chrome?
    1968 911L Coupe - Golden Green
    1971 911S Coupe - Gemini Blue
    1973 911S Targa - Signal Yellow
    1974 914 2.3 - Sunflower Yellow

The chrome trim (when back in stock) might be available from here (though at that price I assume it is made from gold and chrome-plated afterwards...):
    https://www.carpoint.de/klappkasten-...911-69-73.html
    https://www.carpoint.de/klappkasten-...911-69-73.html

But maybe you can get them from the sources selling the whole package as well:
    www.lakewell.com
    or
    http://911tuertaschen.de/

Haven't found a supplier for the rubber tops of the map pockets though. But for the time being you could use the mockups sold by the guy making the FGL pockets (as shown in picture 1 in my initial posting). "Surface feel" would be kinda similar ;-) The original rubbers got also really hard in their 50 years life.

--edit--
    Just saw that Sierra Madre & aase have them available:
    https://sierramadrecollection.com/ca...ch=pocket+trim

https://www.aasesales.com/search?typ...&q=pocket+trim
    Last edited by tomster; 04-03-2019 at 08:28 AM.

very helpful
    Thanks

Short addendum on adjusting:

The main problem when fitting the arm-rests is their shrinking. Due to age the arm-rest tends to bend upwards, resulting in a bigger gap between pocket and arm-rest. To counteract this bending, I glued clothespins to the door. I know, that's probably not the most proper way to do it, but hey, it works ;-)

Name:  IMG_20190403_154709.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  104.0 KB

After tightening the screws of the arm-rest the whole assembly will be forced in a slitghtly higher angle thus closing the gap by quite a decent amount. It is a bit of an trial'n'error thing with assembly and disassembly until the outcome is OK, but it's sure worth the effort.

Name:  IMG_20190403_162238.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  103.5 KB

On the driver's side though I needed 3 clothespin-halfs stacked for a proper gap. Doing so the basket-weave panel bent so much, that the plastic clips on the aft edge of the panel could no longer hold it in place. So I had to remove one layer ending up with the best trade-off between gap-size and panel-bending.
    Last edited by tomster; 04-10-2019 at 05:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tomster View Post
    The above ad is for later 74-83 models. I can't find the unfinished 69-73 pockets in fiberglass. Are these available? All I see are finished pockets. Thanks
    Mike O'Meara
    Reg #1043
    72 911T
    56,59 356s gone
    67,68 912s gone

Mike,

I just had Mr. Steevens on the phone on Monday. He is still doing the '69-'73 pockets (though not advertised) with a lead time of about 5 days. Contact him for details.

Thank you!
    Mike O'Meara
    Reg #1043
    72 911T
    56,59 356s gone
    67,68 912s gone

Ahh, and be a little patient with response time. He is - luckily - one of those guys doing things properly and not getting distracted by the pace people expect nowadays when sending an email...

At the moment I am preparing for my all-first sewing experience to get the vinyl for the map pockets done right. Though it's just a 45° cutout and a ~ 5cm seam my hands get a little wet when thinking of actually doing it. I'll keep you posted on my proceedings.

Tomster.....unfortunately the Video won't play here in the US. Can you show a pic of the 5 cm seam? and 45 cutout?
    Thanks