Thread: 2014 Porsche 911 3.4L (long term test)

2014 Porsche 911 3.4L (long term test)

This Agate Gay 911 was delivered to Georgia in Nov, 2013.

It is my primary car. I drove it to Amelia Island for the 2019 Werks weekend. It is over 5 years old with not one issue or problem.

The 991 had a little more wheelbase and a little more width on the front than the 997.2. It drives wonderfully on long trips. The best sports car is the early 911, but I can't make them work well on a hot traffic congested day.

I also like the luxuries of a working A/C, a good stereo, and the GPS. One thing that is weird is the gas filler is on the wrong side (the passenger side). I still can't get this right. The key is still on the left of the steering wheel, but it is there just for looks.

A+ as a newer Porsche 911.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Doc
    1972 Porsche 911
    2023 Porsche 911 Turbo
    2019 Ford Mustang Shelby GT350

Hi Doc, Hope all is good with you.
    A little secret few know about,,, on your gas gauge you will see an indicator. like this...
    Image 2-04-19 at 5.12 PM.jpg

This indicator arrow tells you what side the gas filler flap is on,, EASY PEASY

PS Picture id not a Porsche but your gauge WILL have it
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by NZVW View Post
    ...This indicator arrow tells you what side the gas filler flap is on,, EASY PEASY..
    Thanks Mark,
    I try to fill the tank when not in an area of restricted gas. In north Georgia, you can get gas without corn additives. We run these roads (the top of a mountain is called a Gap).

This is what we call Six Gaps:

I've been running here for 30 years. If you can do this mountain, you can easily drive the local race tracks. It's a lot of off-camber turns with different surfaces.
    Doc
    1972 Porsche 911
    2023 Porsche 911 Turbo

Doc, if I am ever in the Appalachians I will most certainly scuff some rubber over these roads. It looks like a lot of fun.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by NZVW View Post
    Doc, if I am ever in the Appalachians I will most certainly scuff some rubber over these roads. It looks like a lot of fun.
    Mark,
    I apologize as I was looking for your personal driving experiences. Nothing else. What is your best road, and what is your personal thoughts on the 991 as to a long term Porsche car?
    Doc
    1972 Porsche 911
    2023 Porsche 911 Turbo

Doc, Sorry for the slow reply.

This is my favourite piece of road in New Zealand. 2.5 hrs north of my place.
    Not my video as I dont want the"law' on my case but this is roughly what time I get through it in driving my 1972 911.

The video is taken heading North to South,, The run South to North is way more fun and is the direction that I get to the Gorge when visiting friends at "Shipwrecks Bay" Ahipara, Far North New Zealand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ferVEk3rHWg

Drove a 991 C2S PDK 2011 few years back and had mixed views.
    Yes-fast
    Yes-easy to drive fast
    Yes-creature comforts (big plus)
    No-exhaust sound (can be changed)
    No-collectability/ investment (personal view)

However as I get older I do like the 'ease' of the more modern cars and the "extras" like bluetooth, hands free, headlight illumination and to a large degree the safety factors that they provide.

I have an Audi S4 Avant but she is nearly 11 years old and I do like it, (throw heaps of stuff in it and go anywhere) and am looking at buying 2019 Audi RS3 as a replacement for it.

That said, the enjoyment I get from the old 911 by far outweighs the downside of the "agricultural" aspects of the early long hood Porsche and I have NO intention of parting with it.

Hope you are all good and life is treating you well.

Kindest regards
    Mark
    Last edited by NZVW; 04-06-2019 at 12:25 PM.
    Mark