Thread: H+H Rear sway bar drop link bushings?

H+H Rear sway bar drop link bushings?

Hi All,

I have a 71T with H+H rear sway bar. The bushings on the drop links are perished. Any idea where I can find them or what I can use instead? I hear Weltmeister bushings plug and play. Alternatively, if I want to replace the entire rear sway bar, what do you suggest for cruiser setup that does once a year track? I do hit the twisty roads in CA fairly hard and often.
    James Hurst #1638
    R Gruppe #514
    911T with 2.2S Ps and Cs, Solex grind Cams and PMO 40mm

I would try the Weltmeister, but get their stiffer compound where they are in 2 halves sliding in from both sides and having a steel tube for alignment and wear protection for the bolt to material. They work great and simple couple of min instillation. I don't remember what they call that material but you should be able to see it. I may have a spare set in the parts bin to check a P/N. Give them a shot, minimal investment, to repair your set up.

Regards

Quick follow up. These were the perished rear sway bar drop link bushings Name:  509C543C-19F5-4F9F-94CE-74DBCF5DC9A6.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  74.6 KB and these were the other perished sway bar bushings.Name:  48874CD5-B207-425F-A488-9E6105D6024F.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  113.2 KB

I think I need to do some painting. Also, these bushing squeaked like an old bed.
    Last edited by zenithblue71T; 09-15-2019 at 05:36 PM.
    James Hurst #1638
    R Gruppe #514

These are the bushings that I replaced I replaced on the rear sway bar at Gavin’s Autowerks.

Name:  1C19FC8C-FC83-4783-9871-DCBCF23D63DC.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  47.4 KB

Name:  EEF6CA95-7EF6-4EE0-8ED8-3CD01FAB24AD.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  44.8 KB

Name:  694CBE5A-0F9A-46EE-A007-8429A302050F.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  57.5 KB
    Last edited by zenithblue71T; 09-16-2019 at 04:40 AM.
    James Hurst #1638
    R Gruppe #514

Quote Originally Posted by zenithblue71T View Post
    Hi All,

I have a 71T with H+H rear sway bar. The bushings on the drop links are perished. Any idea where I can find them or what I can use instead? I hear Weltmeister bushings plug and play. Alternatively, if I want to replace the entire rear sway bar, what do you suggest for cruiser setup that does once a year track? I do hit the twisty roads in CA fairly hard and often.
    James

Take the whole thing off and dispose of it in an environmentally friendly way. Replace your front torsion bars with 21MM bars and your rear torsion bars with 25 or 26mm bars, if you haven't already done that. Do not, I repeat, do not replace the rear sway bar. If you have a front, thru the body torsion bar, you can use up to a 18mm bar. Next year's SPD and the after drives will be much more fun following this recipe.

Ciao

Jim
    Brown 71 911T with hollow 22 MM front bars, hollow 28MM rear bars and a 19MM under the body (stock 86 Carrera) front bar.
    Note: NO REAR BAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Jim! As far as I can tell, my 71T has the following setup:

Front:
    I have new front Dansk/Carrera Control Arms with 22mm sway bars. I do not have the stock through the body sway bar.
    New Billstein struts

Rear:
    Rear stock torsion bar: 23mm stock.
    Rear h&h sway bar 15mm (new bushings!)
    Billstein rear shocks

Avon CR6ZZ on 15s all the way around

Wouldn’t removing the rear sway bar make the car more prone to oversteer?
    James Hurst #1638
    R Gruppe #514

Quote Originally Posted by zenithblue71T View Post
    Thanks Jim! As far as I can tell, my 71T has the following setup:

Front:
    I have new front Dansk/Carrera Control Arms with 22mm sway bars. I do not have the stock through the body sway bar.
    New Billstein struts

Rear:
    Rear stock torsion bar: 23mm stock.
    Rear h&h sway bar 15mm (new bushings!)
    Billstein rear shocks

Avon CR6ZZ on 15s all the way around

Wouldn’t removing the rear sway bar make the car more prone to oversteer?
    Actually, no. I would increase the rear bars to work better with the stiff fronts. No front sway and a rear sway is a recipe for disaster, IMHO

Jim