Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Factory Anodized vs. RSR Finish

I just took these pixs of Roxanne. She's a 1975 911s backdate to 1973s spec look w a pmo'd 3.0l, w light weight fly wheel, Pauter rods and down the slope I went. On Thursday I drove her in a spring muddy rain 40 miles to and from the office - my back road drive - brought her home and hosed her off of street grime and towel dried, including the wheels. Harvey Weidman did these wheels for me and they are on their second season in NE Ohio. The frosted anoidized parts of this wheel will clean up like near new with a little elbow grease and mild detergent, lots of water.

Actually this is Roxanne's debut on this forum so a few details: 1975 911s Northeast Ohio barnfind w some rust issues requiring two new front fenders and the parts to back date her. She had been on a concrete floor in a barn for 10 years or more. The car had no engine, but came with a gearbox and interior. Then I spent an obscene, but not at the time, amount of money to back date the car to a long hood w a 3.0 on PMO's and backdate heat through SSIs on a beefed up 915 with Wevo items and wavetrac lsd, love the Wevo internal shift gate, and other things to make a nice fun long nose car that I can drive. Harvey did the wheels and I love them. It was his idea to do the 72 rs finishe on the flat 7x15 wheels (correct wheel size from original post). Name:  IMG_0962.jpg
Views: 405
Size:  78.4 KBName:  IMG_0963.jpg
Views: 393
Size:  77.0 KBName:  IMG_0964.jpg
Views: 379
Size:  86.7 KBName:  IMG_0965.jpg
Views: 392
Size:  114.2 KBName:  IMG_0966.jpg
Views: 385
Size:  97.4 KB

.... meanwhile I went outside and washed that wheel per my method, see above. Name:  IMG_0969.jpg
Views: 401
Size:  46.6 KBName:  IMG_0968.jpg
Views: 383
Size:  79.8 KB
    Last edited by JackMan; 04-21-2019 at 05:00 AM.

Nice backdate!

Wheels don't look like flat-6 to me, look like 7".
    - Arne
    Current - 2018 718 Cayman, Rhodium Silver, PDK

Sold - 1972 911T coupe, Silver Metallic; 1984 911 Carrera coupe, Chiffon white; 1973 914 2.0, Saturn Yellow; 1984 944, Silver Metallic

Arne's correct these are 7" Fuchs done by Harvey in RS style. Note the sexy transition from rough anodize to polished anodize on the outer lip & recessed petals. Theres never a harsh tape line seen on Harveys wheels.

My error, Arne and JB, those are 7x15.

member #1515
    That’s one of the nicest backdates I’ve seen. Even the dash!
    Last edited by RSTarga; 04-21-2019 at 05:31 AM.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

@RSTarga, Thanks! The people that made this project possible are lot's of people on this board for help, comments and some parts. Steinel's Autowerks in Twinsburg, Ohio, did the mechanical work (engine, gearbox, brakes, etc.), and Pete's Custom Coachbuilding in Newbury, Ohio, did the metal work/fabrication, paint and installed the interior. GTS Classics did the leather on the interior bits and rebuilt the stock 1975 tombstone seats into 1975 era sports seats with some custom touches for me.

Quote Originally Posted by RTincher View Post
    Thanks Arne, Harvey and JB - this is all very helpful.

I’m trying to achieve something I think between the RSR finish that Harvey shows and the RS finish that JB has on his wheels - i.e. I want to tone down the polished finish of the factory anodizing on the paddles and barrels of the 7 and 8x16 Fuchs.

JB, do you have a close up of the RS finish on the 7 and 8’s with exposed paddles on the Talbot or Targa?

BTW, your G-body cars are really nice examples - well done. My ‘78SC is Sahara Beige, seems I found the same black trim H4’s as you.

Attachment 488689
    Great color
    1968 911L Coupe - Golden Green
    1971 911S Coupe - Gemini Blue
    1973 911S Targa - Signal Yellow
    1974 914 2.3 - Sunflower Yellow

JackMan, that is a beautiful backdate, showing both great taste and restraint. The RS finish wheels are very appealing, and are also really similar to a set of deep six that Harvey finished for me 8-10 years ago - at the time he suggested this finish, including receding the black paint line to emphasize the depth of the wheel (see below). Harvey is definitely a magician with Fuchs.

Thanks to everyone for their comments, pictures, and suggestions. This has really helped me understand the options better.

Bob

Name:  A938C595-97E7-4999-923A-3064DFF01772.jpg
Views: 333
Size:  62.7 KB
    1973 911E - Viper Green
    1973 911T - Light Ivory, becoming Glacier Blue RS

Don’t quite understand the thought process behind refinishers who would anodize the wheel first, before creating an RSR finish by bead blasting. That sequence, as Harvey explains, destroys the thin and protected anodized layer, exposing it to atmospheric and road trash.

Someone might want to correct me, but I understand the finish on Braid Fuchs is either partially or fully ceramic coated, resulting in a more robust finish than the more delicate anodized finish.

Sherwood