Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Engine stand

Engine stand

As I get to the point of my 2.2T assembly where I can mount the heat exchangers, I start to have misgiving about the strength of the engine case to support the weight, two bolts is the only thing holding the weight, the semi circle mount is mounted tightly, has anyone ever had the case give out under this weight?, quite nervous on this as it is my first 911 project, thanks for any reassurances.
    Current fleet, mostly rubbish automobiles and other assorted junk.

Banned
    As long as the yoke is firmly attached to the bellhousing you have absolutely nothing to be nervous about.

I would be far more concerned with some of the cheapo overseas stands that most guys end up using.

Jon B., my spelling teacher has struck again. Lol

Apparently attaching an egg to a bellhousing is ineffective.
    Last edited by Frank Beck; 04-16-2019 at 07:33 AM.

So which stands would you recommend, Frank?
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Beck View Post
    As long as the yoke is firmly attached to the bellhousing you have absolutely nothing to be nervous about.

I would be far more concerned with some of the cheapo overseas stands that most guys end up using.

1966 911 Coupe - Slate Grey - 304598 - still in restoration!

Member #1616

I'm just a hobbyist (not a professional like Frank ) so don't have need for all tools but have several different sets. Generally Matra stands yokes and clamps. Below are some of mine -- ones I happen to have a snap of to hand

Matra make tools for VW and Porsche among many others usually quite solid robust items.

I've not used the three arm vw307a for 911 because the four arm P version is best for that. I have a very heavy duty Lista work bench bolted to floor that takes the clamp giving an option nstead of a stand.

Name:  Screenshot_20190421-000358.jpg
Views: 2604
Size:  128.7 KB
    Name:  Screenshot_20190421-000411~2.jpg
Views: 2111
Size:  178.0 KB
    Name:  IMG_20181112_142117.jpg
Views: 1871
Size:  90.9 KB

The blue stand with square section upright is slightly later than another earlier but heavier duty Matra one (not shown as don't have picture of it to hand) . The VW313 clamp on top has been repainted red rather -- original colour probably he dusty grey of my other. Leaving cosmetics aside quite heavy duty if located secured correctly on proper type of floor.

Also I have an adapter that can work on a universal stand I'm told. Not sure I'd use it given other options but it is quite a solid item and face is correct profile of cutouts etc. Probably Porsche 9579 or maybe a very similar aftermarket item.

HtH
    Last edited by 911MRP; 04-20-2019 at 03:55 PM. Reason: Reinstate missing photos

unless, it’s applied to the face of the bell housing!

Here is a factory? Engine stand and yoke.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Cliff; 04-20-2019 at 09:33 AM.
    To err is human; to blame it on someone else is more human...

"You must always strive to be the best, but you must never believe that you are."
    —Juan Manuel Fangio[48]

”What would PORSCHE do”

67 911 de Luxe, 356 B silver metallic / brown interior, ( buck skin really ) 67 PORSCHE [ built ] 912, Crystal blue, black interior, 72 T, Silver metallic/black interior, appearance group,factory AC.

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    These are the clamp and engine stand head I’ve always used. G
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Looks like you’re all set!! Post # 4 above & 6
    To err is human; to blame it on someone else is more human...

"You must always strive to be the best, but you must never believe that you are."
    —Juan Manuel Fangio[48]

”What would PORSCHE do”

67 911 de Luxe, 356 B silver metallic / brown interior, ( buck skin really ) 67 PORSCHE [ built ] 912, Crystal blue, black interior, 72 T, Silver metallic/black interior, appearance group,factory AC.

I agree with Frank's direct reply to AKAMick's concerns. An inadequate stand is much more likely to "give out" than the yoke's attachment to the engine.
    If Mick isn't sure that his yoke or stand are adequate, he should post a photo of what he has.

The only factory pieces from Porsche were the yokes, beginning with the 4-cam Carrera yoke. The Matra pieces are factory Volkswagen items, some used by Porsche, others not.
    The term "yoke" is a reference to the engine support's similarity, in appearance, with an aircraft yoke.
    I can post my own photos and explain the various pieces, if anyone is interested. If so, I'll include my name in the photos, so some fauxster doesn't post them elsewhere as his own.

Jon B.
    Vista, CA

... the stand used in famous Teloche garage that Porsche often used at Le Mans. Worker in 72 doesn't use Porsche P or even VW yoke, stand or clamp to hold the engine:
    Name:  Screenshot_20190421-101502~2.jpg
Views: 1904
Size:  118.5 KB

Not recommended practice but bet it still happens. Imagine there be damage if it had toppled into the other engine just below or maybe worse if it fell into the couple of Jerry can fuel containers. Today's health and safety standards folks would have a field day and probably try to shut the place down, especially as there are folks just standing around the place.

Joking apart this is what the Porsche tools catalogue showed as one of the stand options in 2015 Edition:
    Name:  Screenshot_20190421-111851.jpg
Views: 1889
Size:  27.8 KBName:  Screenshot_20190421-112309~2.jpg
Views: 1927
Size:  51.9 KB
    Example above in SnapOn link looks quite similar to the Matra blue one I own pictured in post #4 above.

Below an example for sale (no stock) on Porsche site also looks similar design to the Matra one that specifically references 313 and 307a so for engines that use that three arm yoke. Price when $470 bit now superceded. At one time "minimum holding" item for a Porsche service dept at Canadian and USA dealer :
    Name:  Screenshot_20190421-112253~3.jpg
Views: 1835
Size:  63.9 KB

Not sure why www entry above doesn't mention the four arm for various Porsche up to around 964 -- (P201 page pictured from my Oct 65 tool special Tool catalogue).
    Name:  IMG_20190421_122722.jpg
Views: 1874
Size:  52.6 KB

Matra I've shown in post #4 is special tool 3054. Close up of its labels tale earlier today:

Name:  IMG_20190421_134656.jpg
Views: 1859
Size:  49.4 KB.

Matra is a well known German tool maker used by various OEMs. According to my copy of the later Porsche special tool catalogue VW3054 is their Porsche (and others?) stand suitable for air-cooled 911 motor and heavier 930 as well as engines front engined water cooled cars . Page dated 82 from the book pictured here for information
    Name:  IMG_20190421_202850.jpg
Views: 1931
Size:  47.8 KB

Some earlier stands have more reinforcing and spread base for example: US9005 in this USA zelenda listing I have from circa 75
    Name:  IMG_20190421_124328.jpg
Views: 1793
Size:  25.4 KB

This is is what Zelenda show mid 70s with vw308 but not checked for 911 or 914 Name:  IMG_20190421_130036.jpg
Views: 1983
Size:  57.6 KB

Obviously folks who earn a living from Porsche work will have more need and knowledge of suitable 911 tools so like most hobbyists I'll muddle through using my personal tools. Plenty of oil drums to be had worst case

Hope this helps

Steve
    Last edited by 911MRP; 04-21-2019 at 04:15 PM. Reason: Add my photos, links to Porsche items and tool catalog refs

Porsche has utilized many factory Volkswagen tools since the 1950s.

The 3000 series were factory Volkswagen Audi tools, all with specific or general applications to their vehicles. The majority do not have any Porsche application, and none have a Porsche-only application.
    For example, tools 3051, 3052 and 3053 were for Volkswagen Vanagon vehicles.

The image presented as a Porsche site is actually a Snap-On site.
    Snap-On is an authorized distributor of factory Volkswagen tools, including those with Porsche applications. They do not sell or distribute factory Porsche tools.

The Snap-On Porsche page for 3054... https://porsche.snapon.com/special-t...itemId=2410133
    The Snap-On VW page for 3054... https://vw.snapon.com/SpecialToolsDe...itemId=2410133
    The Snap-On Audi page for 3054... https://audi.snapon.com/SpecialTools...itemid=2410133

The Porsche Special Tools catalogs list many Volkswagen tools with Porsche applications, but as the catalog indexes state, an "X" in the order number column indicates that tool is not available through Porsche.

Jon B.
    Vista, CA