Thread: LWB hazard switch/emergency flasher difference between Hella QC 68 and 71 plus more

Registry member# 206 fourteenten's Avatar

LWB hazard switch/emergency flasher difference between Hella QC 68 and 71 plus more

Hello,

Searched the registry in order to find details about the Hella hazard swith used in the LWB, non-US version. What I can see in the original PET catalogs, until 6/72 (MY 72) part number 911.613.123.00 was used, for MY 73 part number it changed to 911.612.124.20, and what I understand is that Porsche/Hella changed the switch slightly. Also, the wiring harness that was needed changed from PET number 911.612.014.00 to 911.612.014.30. What did exactly change in the switch/wiring harness?

Is it correct that the actual 123.00 switch is marked with SAE QC 68 HELLA 43 and the MY 73 version SAE QC 71 HELLA TS4?

My Italy delivered RS has a switch mounted and almost certain it was done after delivery of the car possibly not by the dealer. It is the 68 marked version where you expect the 71 marked version so I am thinking about replacing that switch to the period correct one. If the PO did it correct they would have installed the 014.00 wire harness so I probably need to change the harness to the 014.30 version too.

Another option is to remove the switch completely but that means finding enough 72/73 vinyl (from a glove box door although that one is just a few mm to short) to replace the vinyl with the extra hole. Plus what to do with the existing wire harness, remove, connect a few wires, really don't know. There is an extra specific wire harness for Italy and France 911. 612.015.00. Where would this harness go? PET only says cables emergency flasher connection and if this one is needed to connect between the main harness and the emergency flasher harness then I should have it in the car. Or is it used for something else?

Regards,
    Cees
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Emergency flasher

Seems I talk to myself here Let's continue. Studied the wire diagrams up to 1972 and 1973. Only difference is the extra brown ground wire connected to pin 58 on the switch (33) for 1973 and this one has a transistor included (US only). I have seen some pictures showing this transistor (96). Mystery to me why ROW did not need this transistor in the harness. So in theory there should be two 911.612.014.30 wire harnesses, one with and one without tansistor incorporated.
    Also two pictures of the above swith with the solid triangle on the red insert. Date coded (?) July 1974. Have not removed my SAE 68 switch yet, curious about the spade numbering (no 58?) and date code.

Regards,
    Cees

Couple more observations. Picture of a SAE 71 switch in a 72T, same as 73.5 (CIS) that I checked out today, both US market cars. Both have the same red insert with small triangle and double hazard marking. Wiring shown is in the 73.5.

If I would remove the switch completely and remove the multi socket wire harness 911.612.014.00 or 911.612.014.30 then I need to connect the black/green/white striped wire to the flasher unit on the steering colum (49a). Would that be wire harness 911. 612.015.00 (see first post), basically a round socket with a single wire?

If there is someone with an Italian market car without hazard swith that can take a peek under the left kneepad and see if the second round multi socket has just one wire?

Regards,

Cees
    Last edited by fourteenten; 03-09-2023 at 05:58 AM. Reason: spelling

Talking

Hi Cees,
    From the point of differences between the hazard switches, I am not able to inform you, since I never had it before.

However, I have an Italian 911 from 1970, and I can confirm that the cable that it only has one wire.
    The switch that you are seeing here is the normal hazard button on the Italian version.
    Name:  Screenshot 2023-02-16 at 13.19.51.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  78.6 KB

There are other changes on the main wiring harness that takes the energy to the 10 pin fuse box, there were addictions (from the outside) on this wiring loom that at the time I did not had an idea, such as a lamp for the roof.

I hope it helps, if you need more photos, let me know.
    Last edited by Dennes; 02-16-2023 at 05:40 AM.
    Best,
    Dennes

Hi Cees,

the US hazard switch has to lighten with the headlight switch pulled. The ROW not.

The transistor is needed in the case when the hazard switch is pushed and the headlight switch is pulled. :-)

Thanks Dennes and Dirk, great info. If it possible, could you check which pin of the multi connector is wired? In case I can't find the whole assembly I will try to replicate.

Regards,
    Cees

Found this one the net, QC 68 hazard switch backside, no pin 58 as expected.

Regards,
    Cees