Thread: Windshield Gasket Recommendation

Windshield Gasket Recommendation

Hello:
    Has anyone purchased and installed a windshield gasket lately? I have heard that the Porsche sourced gaskets are having fitment issues.
    Any source that you may recommend?
    Thanks

I recently (in the last 6 months) installed mine with the factory seal, and the fitment was perfect. I also used new factory moldings, so that may have helped too.
    1969 911 E #824

Where did you hear of these fitment issues? Did one last week with a factory seal and it was perfect. No issues.

For a while now the genuine Porsche seals have changed in that they no longer have a slight moulded bend at each of the four "corners" and they added a flap of rubber where the seal sits on the flange.

Name:  seal.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  126.5 KB

Name:  seal2.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  79.8 KB

Credit universeman from Pelican forum for the pics.

Cross section

Name:  seal3_LI.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  859.7 KB

I find the seals much better to fit if I use a razor blade to remove the rubber flap all round

FWIW I think the international mercantile version are the best at the moment.
    Last edited by 9er; 04-17-2019 at 03:16 PM.

I've had more of a problem with the replacement glass than the Porsche seal. The clear repop Sigla logo glass isn't easy to install unless you have 3 people. I have my glass guy inside the car and me and another guy in each corner at the same time pushing down from the outside. With 3 people it's much easier and won't pop out in the corners. You have to center the glass and move it where needed to get the seal to look right regardless of the seal. The biggest nightmare is the quarter window seals both the inner and outer one. They're too big and insanely hard to deal with.
    72S, 72T now ST

Thanks for the tips. What we heard was the corners were a problem. And this came from a respected vendor