Thread: A pillar Targa seal fitment

A pillar Targa seal fitment

Finishing restoration on a '72 T targa- installed the factory A pillar and windshield seal but the top fitment is horrible as in the picture. Two of us were pushing the top down as much as we could and something is obviously not right. Seems like the seal is way too thick. Wonder if I got the wrong one...
    I notice Stoddard offers two seals for the same years cars that vary a lot in price- wonder what the difference is??

I know everyone says targa top fitment is a PITA- I really don't plan on having the top on that much but do want it to at least fit!!Name:  IMG_9022.jpg
Views: 546
Size:  78.1 KB
    1971 914- original owner
    1973 914 2.0
    1972 911T targa
    2016 981 spyder
    2014 turbo S coupe
    2019 RS5 sportback

member #1515
    You need the seal from dan pechtel at carsincnj.com
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

Thx- I'll see what he says...
    1971 914- original owner
    1973 914 2.0
    1972 911T targa
    2016 981 spyder
    2014 turbo S coupe
    2019 RS5 sportback

Dan is the man
    Clyde Boyer

1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed
    1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed my first ever 911 (1995)

Early S Registry Member #294
    First Aussie R Gruppe Member #366
    TYP 901 Register Inc #6

Just curious, why is Dan the man? I don't know who that is. Does he make his own seals or is he getting different ones than the others? I have always used a newer seal from ( if I remember right ) a 85 or newer, it has a an extra little lip at the top corner of the A pillar and where the targa top fits, it helps to direct the water from the frt top channel to the outside better as the lip extends out past the vent window frame( usually right where u get that little drip in the corner. I have used both aftermarket and factory seals, neither has been an issue

Thanks, Rick

member #1515
    The factory seals seem to be made for the later roofs and are too thick for the older cars. This results in what you see above. Dan has had his own seals made up as per the original seal.
    If you are clever with an xacto knife he published a way of cutting the new seal down. I tried twice with not great results until he started producing his own seal.
    David

member #1515

Dan's instructions

Targa Seal tech article Windshield Frame A Pillar Seal problem

A problem has developed for Targa owners from an unusual source. Somewhere during the last few years, when ordering a new replacement front windshield frame pillar seal, one receives a superseded seal. Problem folks, these superseded seals just don't fit 89 and older Targa's. The proper part number is no longer obtainable. Old part #911 565 090 47 now superseded #911 799 565 80. You may, in fact, get the proper part # on the package but the seal will be the superseded one. I have been told that the official response to this situation is that the new seal will require cutting and shaping to get the proper fit. Since where to cut and shape has been a mystery, the choice has been either to retain your old seal or live with an ill-fitting top.
    The difficulty with the new seal is varies from 2mm to 4mm too deep across the whole top and 4 mm too wide at the corners. This results in the seal not fitting far enough down into the body groove, thus the seal seats up too high and the top rides on top of the seal. Roller latches on tops from 86-89 can be adjusted but this is a Band-Aid fix because wind noise will result. There is no such luck for 69-85 cars. Damage usually occurs to the latch by forcing the top to fit. It would seem that the second rule of carpentry applied when the seal was made, " cut it big and kick it into place".
    Now the fix: What needs to be done is the removal of material from the seal so that it will slip unimpeded into the channel. Material needs to be not only removed from the sides but also from the bottom of the seal, as mentioned. The best approach I have found for removing material from the seal is to use a thin blade razor knife and saw it off.
    Side of seal material removal: Remove 2 mm on each side of the seal downward and inward 3 ¼"from the 90-degree bend. The proper width should be 10mm. New seals are 14 mm at this spot. Seal taper out to the regular thickness the last ½" or so. This includes removal of material from the large triangular corner knob. It needs to be shaved on the sides by 2mm to 3mm wherever it touches the V metal corner channel.
    Bottom of seal material removal: The underside material of the seal needs material removed by 2mm to 3mm in the same corner area. In my modifications, I have removed material 2mm from entire windshield length with good results.
    Test fit: You can test your work as you go along by periodically testing top for fit. The seal should not be forcing the top upward during these fittings. The seal dry should be just a tad loose for when you apply glue in the channel for installation. This space will be accounted for. I feel in order to get the seals bottomed out, it is best to install the seals with glue only in the channel and install the seal wet before the glue sets up. Until this seal situation is resolved with the proper sized one, this is our best chance of getting our Targa top to fit correctly.

Dan is owner of Cars Inc. of NJ. He is along time PCA member with a business of Restoring Targa Tops and Selling Vintage Parts. website carsinc-nj.com 609 298 2277
    David

Ordered a new seal from Dan...
    1971 914- original owner
    1973 914 2.0
    1972 911T targa
    2016 981 spyder
    2014 turbo S coupe
    2019 RS5 sportback

Thanks for all the info. It has been a few years since I have done one and did not know about the supersession
    does not surprise me