Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RS Wheel Discussion

Ok by me if you moderators and OP wish. Has strayed from the original FS ad!

Lots of small but important details that affect look stance etc.. Elsewhere I've previously posted the pictures of my period German made Pirelli cn36 that are the original factory fitted nylon covers as used in 72/3.
    This is the link to that thread -- although it was about RS tyres possibly some overlap with the new thread being proposed to be split out:
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...s-original-fit
    The roadtest car pictured above on addition to 6&7s had those tyres -- tube type. Steel belted CN 36 came later during the G series era and were tubeless.

Also the introduction of the valve support on 7s was later afiak. Old photos often show the distinctive shaped balance weights visible on outer rim back in the day both on RS and TES -- not hidden like balancing usually done today.

Many details we don't see today -- superceded tyres for obvious reasons!
    Last edited by 911MRP; 04-19-2019 at 04:37 PM.

Moved from this finished sale...carry on!

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...Fuchs-Series-1
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

911MRP makes an excellent point. Look at the photo of those original blue wheels. Most of the colors - especially blue - seem wrong to me. They matched them to the decal instead

And of course very few non white RS’s has Carrera scripts yet most color RS’s have added them.

I have been beating this drum for decades. The blue that we use is matched to an original wheel. It is not a production blue as far as I have found. Also the red was not Guards red but closer to Bahia, we also matched from an original sample. The green is the closest to a production color and I use that and it seems to work well. The wheel color never matched the stripe as the toners are different with paint and plastic. The caps were as production (not painted). Do not use the Porsche restored cars as a reference for originality. There are much more correct restorations being done in the private sector. BTW, as far as I know yellow and green was not used on RSs. I have seen many advertised that way and they just don't look right to me.
    H

As far as 7&8, they were available in 3/73 as a option as far as I remember. The rear fenders were designed for 8s and the 6&7s were for homologation. Many of the owners put on 8s from the werk 1 as soon as they took delivery. If you look at some early RS photos the have rear 8s with the race finish and have moved the 7s to the front.

I read that the first 500 were weighed and inspected with 5.5 & 6s with the skinny tires then removed and used for the next car inspection. Then the cars "rebuilt" as ordered for delivery.

Harvey does excellent work as you all know; both my sets of 6 and 7, and 7 and 8 he restored. The reds are great!

I think the point is they weren’t delivered with 8’s for the early delivery cars.

And the stance should mirror the early photos.

You are correct, The information that I have read and from inspecting original cars, 8s were not available until around March (third series?). The dates that I have seen on production 8s start at 1/73.

Also the cars that had Fuchs instead of steel as spares were finished as production wheels (not color to match). (this is confirmed by photos in the owners manual)

H

Harvey

What you say is consistent with my first series RS British market RS that has correct for that market spec steel tank and full size Fuchs / Pirelli under the hood and blue 6&7 wheels fitted during conversion order after the temporary 165s used for weighing/certification with FIA were swapped for something commensurate with performance - all original factory fit. As explained in my earlier post the production order and conversion order paperwork for my car explicitly show the temporary Dunlops fitted for homologation being crossed out and being replaced by the final 6&7s with CN 36. Reassuring from a provenance perspective to see this now famous early RS homologation story of the conversion order leave " footprints" in cars factory farhzeug auftrag documentation as held in its history file. 72 production car per farheug auftrag chronology and X/72 dated wheels.

Also agree I've not seen evidence of RS leaving factory with 8s before spring ie from around the third series. The ones photographed with 8s at factory are either obviously series 3 or are when the spring foliage is evident in the background that gives a strong clue as time of year in Northern Europe.This point discussed with photos elsewhere on forum. The 7 and 8s did become available as an "option" for RS but curiously without an M-option number. At least I've never seen an option number for them in 72/3 period when RS was in production.

Steve
    Last edited by 911MRP; 04-20-2019 at 01:06 PM.