Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RS Wheel Discussion

RS Wheel Discussion

<<editing this as it was a split off from a for sale of RS wheels post>>

Most people seem to put 7” and
    8” wheels on a 1973 RS, instead of the 6” and 7”’ they came with.

It just doesn’t look right.

Combined with getting the stance wrong too.
    Last edited by rower; 04-20-2019 at 08:21 AM.

+1 .......Agree

....below is a brand new first 500 series M472 Touring just being run in first week Jan 73 on factory fit RS spec wheels and tyres:

Name:  IMG_20190418_233543.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  27.4 KB

... Wasn't the Carrera RS the first road car to have different sized front and rear so a small motoring history first?

Distinctive stance -- rarely seen that way these days.

Name:  IMG_20190418_231312.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  57.3 KB
    Name:  IMG_20190418_232841.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  102.9 KB
    Last edited by 911MRP; 04-18-2019 at 02:43 PM.

The stance they should have. 6 and 7” as delivered. When I bought it it had 7 and 8” on it and never looked right. That set is in storage. 30,000 km car. From earlier this week!

Name:  5AE9E8FF-2DF5-47B0-BAB0-75A9AC4ED977.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  122.3 KB

(For the fair price I would sell my set of 7” and 8”
    Restored wheels, red. I also have a pair of restored 73 sport seats and double locker bases too that should find a new home )
    Last edited by rower; 04-20-2019 at 07:51 AM.

Very nice 6" & 7's Rower ! Did the early RS's also come with round Durant mirrors ?

C16 EG british market had round spec on drivers side -- car in 73 picture has that but can't be seen from passenger side shot! Also some markets Aus iirc and other rhd ROW markets. Seem to recall somewhere in Scandinavia had them -- Norway possibly-- but required pair with one being convex but memory of that niche factoid might be slightly off.

Not an RS thing but a country equipment thing regardless of TES RS I believe

Don’t want to hijack thread though wheels sold
    Last edited by rower; 04-18-2019 at 04:15 PM.

As far as I am concerned, if u own a RS ,you are allowed !
    1962 356 S Cab gone
    1967 911S Coupe
    2008 RS60 Boxster gone
    1973.5 911T targa soft window Gone
    Runge 008 Gone
    2002 996 TT x-50 Gone
    2016 Boxster GTS pts gulf orange
    1969 912 SWT pts green

Can I be FRANK with you ?

Live everyday like it's your last .
    Eventually you'll be right.

...in that case...

here is the other side of the virtually brand new RHD car snapped in Jan 73 on its 6&7 s with CN 36 showing the stance and height wrt a BMW as well as the single round mirror on rhd driver's side
    Name:  IMG_20190418_233628.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  110.6 KB

I have the fahrzeug auftrag and conversion order that accompanied my RS down the line. The production order multipart were stuck to ducktail at some part of the process apparently as seen in photo of RS/R elsewhere snapped during factory visit back in the day.

It is interesting to read on the homologation cars the details of production order and conversion order factory paperwork that was contemporary with the actual assembly. It clearly shows Dunlop tyre being used temporarily for the purposes of weighing on the Stuttgart scales. Dunlop is recorded on production system and appears computer print but then crossed out and handwritten on the line by the worker doing conversion to show the Pirelli tyre of different final unique to RS 215 60 15 size being fitted. The documents with the line worker annotations, strikethough, serialised stickers and various date stamps can be read to see the chronology Porsche chose to order and build he early series RS. The build process including the now famous slightly bonkers breaking the norm of efficient automobile operations to use two stages with rework deliberately for those "homolgation specials"

The wheels on my car are it's original set of 6&7 as fitted when it left factory so I plan to have the blue analysed by glasurit who together with Porsche have previously confirmed to me in writing that they provided the original blue wheel paint for the RS Fuchs following conversations at Essen. The Grand Prix Weiß paint is noted on the main Auftrag Fahrzeug (production order) whereas the wheel colou blue are noted on the related conversion order document because final Fuchs wheels CN 36 and stripes were an item on the conversion order. As it says in the write-up these early were "homologation specials" and temporarily had wheels for town weigh scales visit /certification with FIA before getting their final set. Likley the homologation size sets were removed and used for next in line to be weighed. Doubt the few cases where the cheapest base so called homologation cars that remained unconverted in homologation spec with 165 15 front tyre would've been terribly drivable! Pirelli Cinturato CN36 were only (not steel belt but they originally had tubes) for early RS -- Dunlop only came along later when they produced the correct size.

The blue decals are noted on conversion order too. Iirc there were only 205 genuine RS examples ( despite the many later replicas and homages ) that left factory in the RS reserved colour GP white that had the blue decals /wheels. Usually restorations get hue on wheels wrong by matching the side stripe when painting wheel colour. They are similar but different on original cars; less different than this old snap might suggest but different neverless! The car shown is one of the quota of just circa fifty rhd produced on first series RS and if memory serves me is 006x range.

And while we are on topic of correct RS wheels someone should tell the Porsche museum that their white green M471 in museum shouldn't have green painted centre caps. Their knowledge of their own classic product and attention to detail is at times woeful. A friend was visiting and sent me this
    Name:  Screenshot_20190419-123646~2.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  12.3 KB

Unless I'm mistaken cap should be as the image above of the white and blue car. No wonder what cars were like when new gets lost when the factory can't even be ...errm... RSed to get it right.

Apologies for digressing from a FS post !
    Last edited by 911MRP; 04-19-2019 at 05:04 AM. Reason: Add photo

Great info. We should split it off and use it as a new thread on “original wheels and stance for a RS”

Moderator?

And yes...that’s horrible by the factory on those green wheels.

I would like to see unrestored green wheels though for the color.
    Last edited by rower; 04-20-2019 at 08:22 AM.