Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FS: @pelican - Reproduction map pockets and knee pads

FS: @pelican - Reproduction map pockets and knee pads

Someone over at the Bird is making reproduction goodies for LWB. http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...p-pockets.html
    ESR # 2300

Quite nice job. And for sure some quality kind of craftmanship! Finally someone is starting to do things right!

Those folding pockets look dead-on on those pictures. Though the chrome trim is bit too anodized/dull for my taste...

I wonder how the l-s armrest with arm will come out. On the pictures the vinyl on the armrest (w/o arm) seems a bit handcrafted onto the foam piece and this could be a problem on the backside of the arm section. You would be able to "feel" the seam, I think.

All pieces a bit on the pricey side, but IMHO totally OK when having in mind he won't be selling those in the thousands. Great work!

The problem is pictures don't tell the story! Was anyone at Hershey and saw these in person? Don't want to spend $1500 for 2 pockets and be disappointed. I think the armrests were only prototype so quality should improve.
    Mike Fitton # 2071
    2018 911S Carrera White
    2012 991 Platinum Silver ( Gone)
    1971 911T Targa Bahia Red (Gone to France)
    1995 911 Carrera Polar Silver (Gone)

No Affiliation with City of Chicago!

Mike you're surely right.

When I first saw the pictures I was wondering how he did get the flock in that exact faded look and with those furry "dust bunnies" & mechanical wear as if the pockets were 50 years old...
    Then I thought: maybe he just showed his chrome trim on an original pocket.
    Same thing with the armrest. The foam piece looks 99,9% as if it were original and had just been newly covered with a strech of vinyl.

But let's wait on a response from someone having seen it live at Hershey's.

Anyway, I am pretty happy with the fibre glass repros I found over here in Germany:
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...o-deep-pockets

These don't look THAT dead-on in terms of every detail (embossments inside the pockets, metal straightening bracket, etc.) but are as least as good as the ones you get from all the other distributors. Just that they're for DIY'ers at a much cheaper price.

in restoring my 1969, it requires pockets and armrests. I was going to do it RS style to cheat on pockets and armrests because the current offerings are not great.

If these are good, i would consider them.
    LOOKING FOR 1967S TRANSMISSION #103586
    Looking For 1969T Engine #6195922
    Looking For 1969T Transmission #7194313

Looking for 1969T Transmission #7195495
    www.tcspeed.com

I cheated on my 1972 S restoration by not fitting pockets. I had a number of reasons

- Spending thousands on pockets did not appeal to me.

- Many on offer are incorrect or poor.

- I’ve a gut feeling even new ones will not last too long,they are vulnerable to damage and wear.

- My 47 year old car lived over ten years as a race and rally car, I am acknowledging that history using Lwt RS door cards.

Hey guys,

Glad to see people are talking about my products. To answer your question the armrest is not vinyl wrapped. It is a molded piece just like Porsche did back in the 70s. The seam is as good as can be just like the originals!! Would be happy to answer any questions on fitment for all of you. It is as close as can be. Regarding the aluminum we did research with some old school 911 experts and discovered that the trim did not give a mirror shine but rather it was slightly milky. For those that want a mirror shine I can definitely get that done for you. You will not be disappointed!!!

Well, I guess meanings of "experts" can differ as much as ones from complete morons...
    Here's an example of a 700-mile 1970 "S":
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/807244...57630169538658
    Scroll down to the pockets part

You might wanna argue, but IMMO (in my moron opinion) it is more shiny than dull. Not a high-gloss shine but shiny enough to produce reflections. Just like polished aluminium.

Thanks for the info. Ours are definitely not that shiny but also not completely matte. We can definitely make the next batch shinier if that’s what everyone wants.
    Last edited by Vmn007; 04-24-2019 at 04:54 AM. Reason: Grammar issue

Quote Originally Posted by Vmn007 View Post
    Thanks for the info. Ours are definitely not that shiny but also not completely matte. We can definitely make the next batch shinier if that’s what everyone wants.
    Yes, please!
    techweenie.com

My parts fetcher: 2016 Tesla S | Currently building: 73 RSR tribute and 69 RS tribute