Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Beware Social Engineering going on?

I've seen the Profile visitors long time ago - at least two years - , but they are relatively harmless bots unless you post something in your profiles that would be useful for the bots to dig up.
    What I am referring to is not a bot it's probably a human with some interest - what interest we'll see - perhaps a scammer trying to get pictures that are not yet published on the interweb or something else... We'll see.
    Just be aware and awake.
    Cheers
    Uli

I just checked my profile and yes the last 10 are from people I've never heard of. All are just a bunch of meaningless letters. I wonder if showing our name, state or country is a good idea. Really bad dudes could find our cars and borrow them permanently. Hmmm.
    1959 Auratium Green 356A Super w/ Rudge wheels
    1970 Irish Green 914-6 w/2.2S
    Current -1967 Bahama Yellow 912 POLO 2cam4 #1
    www.reSeeWorks.com
    Personalized Vintage Porsche's and parts
    I couldn't find the sports car of my dreams, so I built it myself-Ferdinand Porsche

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Miller View Post
    Our tech admin said there is not much we can do without disrupting the flow of communication and deleing the accounts of those unused for over a year.... which would be a headache in both directions..
    That guy wouldn't work at my company for long.
    Last edited by LiveFromNY; 04-23-2019 at 05:02 PM.

Just a thought...

A number of Facebook pages I've joined require that you first answer three club topic-related questions (not terribly hard but you still must provide a basically coherent answer). Maybe we can have ALL users (existing and new) take this test and use the results to "clean house". Would be interesting to learn if this is an option within the vBulletin environment.
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Well, I think we need to do something. The status quo means we are sitting ducks.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

That would be a good idea, another good idea would also be to "pause" ALL the accounts of 2015 with 0 post, for real users could be given the option to pass the check with the three questions. It would be a first step ... And a test step for if you use a method similar to that of targar do not upload problems in the forum, but in a small "number of users"

My email address has been used by some ass-hats to spoof people. Most are savvy enough to smell the rat. When I log into this website it is noted as "Not Secure" by Dashlane. For what that's worth.
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Hello. I am the one who sent you the PM. Apologies for the incorrect date I provided you. I was doing some research on a seat I recently purchased and came across your post on August 31,2011 “Idealsitz S, Rallye II, Rallye”; via your picture, I now know I am the owner of a Rallye seat - thank you. I am new to the registry and am not familiar with everything. I was conducting late night research and came across this particular thread regarding seats (67 pages); it has taken me some time to find your particular picture/post. Again, sorry for the confusion.
    1957 356A Cab Condor Yellow
    1970 911E Targa “CONDA G”
    1970 911T3.2 “Meatballs”
    1972 911T2.5 “AWBRGN”
    1972 911T Targa Glaserblau
    1976 911S Talbot Yellow

NOT GOOD, checked visitors...
    auggjacket
    bridallouboutin
    bubblak
    hutschjera
    iacoolidgcarl
    jens
    nkidsnorth
    nshmanodisa
    tcketthele
    zeneitzkelawr

WTF...
    Ernie W
    member of Early 911S Registry

Checked and have the same visitors as have been mentioned
    Also noticed all joined between 3/2015 and 8/2015 no posts but committing to visit .
    Quite odd.
    73.5 Snrf T
    71 Snrf T
    70S targa
    76 914 2.0
    82 Targa,
    85 Alfa GTV6
    60 Lancia Appia Zagato GTE
    Searching for transmission 7115322 (911/01)