Thread: Wiper speed issue....

Wiper speed issue....

I've recently restored a 73T, and all three wiper speeds are basically on S L O W .....
    Speed 1 appears normal, Speed 2 is just fractionally quicker, while speed 3 is no change from 2. I've confirmed that the wiring is correct, and I've lubricated the joints and spindles of the wiper system. The wipers were rubbish when I bought the car last year, so I haven't changed anything to make them worse, except for removing them for a repaint and then reinstalling them.

Any advice on what else this could be? I'm aware that there's a resistor in the system, but I'm not across how it all works.

Advice appreciated...
    Scotty

Early S #3169

'70 911S Coupé
    '73 911T Targa
    '78 911SC coupé
    '74 BMW 3.0 CS

Instagram - @aircooledlist

I have seen the gears in the motor transmission binding causing the motor to run slow.
    Tom Butler
    1973 RSR Clone
    1970 911E
    914-6 GT Clone in Progress

Thanks Tom - I'm thinking it may be worth removing the wiper assembly and digging a little deeper... I was just being reluctant as removing that thing is a PITA!
    Scotty

Early S #3169

'70 911S Coupé
    '73 911T Targa
    '78 911SC coupé
    '74 BMW 3.0 CS

Instagram - @aircooledlist

On my '73 I've never had an issue with the wipers...

However, my 3 speed wipers have never been more than 2 speed... slow and fast... that's it... never found out why

cm
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Quote Originally Posted by SM911 View Post
    Thanks Tom - I'm thinking it may be worth removing the wiper assembly and digging a little deeper... I was just being reluctant as removing that thing is a PITA!
    You could try disconnecting the wiper drive lever from the motor and then running the motor to see if it runs faster. If it speeds up, check the wiper mechanism for resistance.

If the motor still runs slow with the wiper linkage removed, take the cover off the gearbox and slide out the large gear so it disengages from the motor drive gear. Power up the motor with the drive gear disengaged to see if it runs at the correct speed. If the motor runs at the correct speed and slows down with the large gear is engaged, the gear is binding. I just went through this in restoring a '69 wiper assembly for a customer. I had a couple of motors where the gear was binding and I was not able to correct it.

If you end up needing a good replacement motor, let me know. I may have a few.
    Tom Butler
    1973 RSR Clone
    1970 911E
    914-6 GT Clone in Progress