Thread: Turn signal indicators glowing

Turn signal indicators glowing

I've noticed that the turn signal indicators in my tacho are glowing on start up. I've also noticed this on other cars before, and the glow usually disappears a minute or two after start up. Presumably this is linked to the alternator pushing back a lot of ergs back into the battery post start up...

This 'issue' doesn't create any dramas, it's just one of those small things I'd like to learn about and hopefully get rid of.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
    Scotty

Early S #3169

'70 911S Coupé
    '73 911T Targa
    '78 911SC coupé
    '74 BMW 3.0 CS

Instagram - @aircooledlist

That does not sound good to me. A glowing alternator light is an indication of problems in the charging circuit. However, any other indicator light should not be affected. I would guess that there is a problem with the flasher relay.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

When turning the ignition key to the "run" position, but not as far as the "start" position, does the ignition lamp illuminate or do just the turn signal indicator lamps illuminate? When the engine is running, do both the ignition lamp and the turn signal lamps go out? Does your ignition lamp ever illuminate? If I remember correctly, this lamp must illuminate when the key is turned to the "run" position so as to supply a small load to the alternator allowing it to start charging when the engine is running. If this lamp is defective and not illuminating, perhaps the alternator is seeking an alternate load through the turn signal indicator lamps causing them to glow when the key is turned to the "run" position.

In the ‘run’ position, the alternator light is on, and it goes on/off properly at the right amount of revs. When the engine is running, the alternator light goes out normally and the turn signal indicator lamps stay on for a few minutes.
    Scotty

Early S #3169

'70 911S Coupé
    '73 911T Targa
    '78 911SC coupé
    '74 BMW 3.0 CS

Instagram - @aircooledlist