Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Have color code from 1969, but no supplier can find the recipe

Quote Originally Posted by Scott A View Post
    Those are both Porsche colors. Just different year from 1969.

Even if you find the code. If you spray a car on a different day, temp, humidity, it will look different.
    Especially metallic.
    I have been painting for 35 yrs.
    Go to an old Porsche show, the guys with the ruby red cars will all say they are correct, and they will all be different.
    The slate greys will be brown and green and blue. All different.
    The code is not the key.....in any way.
    You would have to match a car panel. That’s what classic would have to do. That’s what you would have to do.
    Scott,

Thanks for your (disappointing) advice.

It is easy to see that matching the original paint can be a challenge.

https://porschenewsroom.s3.amazonaws...al_720x1_5.jpg

Even from this photo the difference in apperance between the front fender and door can be spotted.

My problem regarding mixing new paint from an original sample is that I do not have access to a sample, this being the only 911 in the world with this particular paint...

Quote Originally Posted by Einar Irgens View Post

My problem regarding mixing new paint from an original sample is that I do not have access to a sample, this being the only 911 in the world with this particular paint...
    scott is exactly right and by now you should have understand that it is impossible to get the colour exactly alike...you can only get close and i doubt that your car will ever stand that close to the original that anyone will see the difference.

moito is right.
    Even the owner of the car does not know the recipe for
    the paint.

So either, choose any oliv metallic color near this, or forget about digging deeper.
    There will be no answer for this one time only fabricated request.

quod licet lovi...
    59 750 pre unit triton
    63 650 gray silver bikinitub triumph thunderbird
    70 650 astralred silver triumph bonneville
    65 912 slate gray "erwin"
    73 914 ravennagreen "ferdl"
    erwin_loves_polo

Einar, yes you are right on....the door and the fender are different.
    When painting, (especially metallic) there is this thing called "flop", the paint particles land at different angles...and it reflects different.
    Metallic is very hard, unless you are a robot.

For me, color is my favorite thing about the car....and then the interior, and the shapes in metal.
    I like to spend years and years with the challenge of chasing down a color, trying to find a sample...seeing the car.
    I like flying to europe just to see a certain color on a certain car. I would rather spend my money on paint than food.

Often, I paint about 7 to 10 samples of colors...and i carry them around in my wallet....and lay them next to a car.
    I write the color and the code on the back....and then I can see how well the samples match the colors.

I just did it at Luftgekuhlt, to see if they had a factory olive car.

the metallic olive car shows up here and there....and i am sure the owner would love to show it to you. seek them out.
    but take samples of color that you have already sprayed...and see which ones seems to be a match.

your color choice is the very best color, even tho metallic, it is probably my favorite i have seen. my next favorite color is the hunter green. Which is a color for your year, by the way.

i have also noticed that others look at your car for about 50 seconds....and just walk on. even if you spent 5 years on the car, they are more interested in themselves...and their cars.
    i have a neighbor, he spent $200grand on his car...and chose a special green....he showed it to me...I talked to him maybe 3 minutes...he kept wanting me to look more, but I had things to do.
    Last edited by Scott A; 05-16-2019 at 01:54 PM.

Current long term ownership: 63 Cab, 71 911, 74 914

btw...
    the owner is a member of the ESR
    and aware of this thread.
    59 750 pre unit triton
    63 650 gray silver bikinitub triumph thunderbird
    70 650 astralred silver triumph bonneville
    65 912 slate gray "erwin"
    73 914 ravennagreen "ferdl"
    erwin_loves_polo