Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Highway Bullies. .Buick Regal

Highway Bullies. .Buick Regal

Wondering if it's common to find on the freeway : tall sport trucks, as they barrel down on someone, insisting you move out of their way. Normally we all accomadate others to pass. A '96 Regal is a fairly tired sedan vs. '16 Dodge Ram behind at 70 mph, expecting me to get out his way...and NOW.

Normally, no objection to moving over without much delay, but this occasion involved a long down hill sweep, with cars gathered on the right. I fully intended to move over, raising a hand as a kind of 'excuse me'.. that I would be moving over in the next 4 - 6 seconds. He strenuously objected...pulled to about 6 ft from the bumper, then pasted the bird and fury up to the windscreen, waving for me to "get the hell out of the left lane". So a decision arose of the other option, being simple straight acceleration to clear his path, thereby getting roughly 20 lengths out ahead...and kept my foot down. No longer a hindrance to him, the freeway now opened from 2 lanes to 4 in same direction..

No less determined, he used the open conditions to hammer his Dodge Ram for all it was worth and pass from the right in the next mile. I was astonished how important it was to him, along with his contempt for the Regal. But I maintained the clip, as he attempted but fell short of the maneuver, which is also unsafe. Soon, he slowed considerably for his exit...

Early Regals are in the beater category, but a 3.1 is deceptive, especially if the gearing drops to third..it actually pulls very well for it's size of motor.

Still left wondering if this level of manners -- is the new normal ??
    Last edited by 62S-R-S; 05-07-2019 at 02:49 AM.

Not new at all. About 30 years ago I was on a major route with 3 lanes available and I was in the left lane. A car flew by me on the right, then changed lanes to move in front of me. Shortly he slowed down to the extent that I was about to crowd his rear. So I glanced over to the right to see if my way was clear to change lanes. He took that opportunity to slam on his brakes, then cross two lanes and take an exit. On a very busy route that is a very dangerous move.
    Then there was the woman that passed me at high speed every morning, including near the crest of a hill. These people have death wishes.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

Notwithstanding, they are pretty nice rigs..

Dodge 2.jpg

In California, yes, that is normal. I hear you 100%.

Current long term ownership: 63 Cab, 71 911, 74 914

Quote Originally Posted by 62S-R-S View Post
    Wondering if it's common to find on the freeway : tall sport trucks, as they barrel down on someone, insisting you move out of their way. Normally we all accomadate others to pass. A '96 Regal is a fairly tired sedan vs. '16 Dodge Ram behind at 70 mph, expecting me to get out his way...and NOW.

Normally, no objection to moving over without much delay, but this occasion involved a long down hill sweep, with cars gathered on the right. I fully intended to move over, raising a hand as a kind of 'excuse me'.. that I would be moving over in the next 4 - 6 seconds. He strenuously objected...pulled to about 6 ft from the bumper, then pasted the bird and fury up to the windscreen, waving for me to "get the hell out of the left lane". So a decision arose of the other option, being simple straight acceleration to clear his path, thereby getting roughly 20 lengths out ahead...and kept my foot down. No longer a hindrance to him, the freeway now opened from 2 lanes to 4 in same direction..

No less determined, he used the open conditions to hammer his Dodge Ram for all it was worth and pass from the right in the next mile. I was astonished how important it was to him, along with his contempt for the Regal. But I maintained the clip, as he attempted but fell short of the maneuver, which is also unsafe. Soon, he slowed considerably for his exit...

Early Regals are in the beater category, but a 3.1 is deceptive, especially if the gearing drops to third..it actually pulls very well for it's size of motor.

Still left wondering if this level of manners -- is the new normal ??

ever driven on a german autobahn?

Quote Originally Posted by moito View Post
    exactly what I thought

Living in Poland I was passed on a roundabout by 2 cars, one on the inside and the other on the outside at the same time.... Closely followed by a car who passed me on the left from behind as I was stationery and waiting to turn left myself. Driving an early 911 was an interesting experience. Sounds like you guys in the US have it easy.
    I'm in Switzerland now, which is pretty much perfect for early 911 driving.

Quote Originally Posted by moito View Post
    Yes, when I travelled from Switzerland to the old Factory museum. A wonderful experience, even in a borrowed Audi Quattro. One does have to pay full attention to driving with particular attention to the rear-view mirrors.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

The older I get, the more defensive I get when driving. So many bad drivers out there, especially during commute time. Even family members will tell me I drive ""too slow" but I know better. I can drive plenty fast when I need to and am glad I've had track experience.
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

+1 to @72targa

I feel compelled to put in a plug for staying in the same lane:

It has been proven without a doubt that most accidents occur when switching lanes -- I avoid switching at all costs when I am driving. Often I feel as though I might get there a little faster if I went over to the other lane. But, as we all have experienced, 9 of 10 times, when you do go to the other lane, you really don't buy yourself anything if you are on the road for any length of time. The lane you departed from "catches up" to you soon enough! I learned about this in a defensive driving course and I always make it a practice now.
    Jim

__________________________________________________ ___________
    Early S Registry #2359

1970 Porsche 911 Rally 2.4
    2018 Porsche Macan GTS