Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: CA Blue Plate re-registraton contacts / help?

OK so i talked to a buddy of mine that did this, it was not hard. Just needed 2 blue plates, no stickers on them needed, and filled out the year of manufacture form.

Now, so I can match my original plate again, BUT, I only have 1 plate. I need 2.

Anyone know a trusted maker of replica plates? I'd put the patina'd original on the car...

Name:  5a8e8ada_9dd2_4f45_9e45_59187f011394_5a357d9ecf3330f0056ee58a896ffdd403412d34.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  135.5 KB

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spyerx View Post
    OK so i talked to a buddy of mine that did this, it was not hard. Just needed 2 blue plates, no stickers on them needed, and filled out the year of manufacture form.

Now, so I can match my original plate again, BUT, I only have 1 plate. I need 2.

Anyone know a trusted maker of replica plates? I'd put the patina'd original on the car...
    Uh oh.

California requires two original license plates. That's why you have to appear at the DMV with the plates.

If you check the websites of outfits that make replica license plates you'll find just about all say "We do not ship replica California license plates to California." California goes after them.

You might find a firm that makes plates good enough to fool the folks at the DMV. You might get them shipped to a friend in another state who'll send them to you. You MIGHT EVEN get the DMV to believe that one plate is "patina-ed" and the other is not by claiming the original owner got away with driving without a front plate (but expect them to be examined extra closely, and by multiple DMV employees).

I think your odds are not good.

If you want to succeed, get a different set of yellow on blue plates from a "license plate collector" (who'll take them back if the numbers aren't "clear") and go through the California Year of Manufacture Program.

It looks like you're right about not needing a year sticker for 1970-1980 YoM plates. I re-read the form very carefully and it doesn't mention stickers after '69.
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA
    Early 911S Registry # 237

1965 Porsche 911 coupe
    1958 Porsche 356A cabriolet

yeah my buddy went with 2 plates, 1 was a rep, 1 was original, they didn't even really look at them. His car was a 71 911S. Same situation as mine. Just talked to him yesterday about it and he had this done recently.

I'll give that a go, if that doesn't work i'll just pickup a set of eBay plates... but it would be great to put the original 2nd plate back on the car. Its been on there since the 2nd owner bought it in 76 from Niello.

Here's a pic as found in SoCal in 2011 before the guy I bought it from cleaned it up a bit.

Name:  photo-7.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  70.6 KB

The DMV is not going to really scrutinize them. You’ll be fine.

If plate number is in the DMV system associated to a car they are ineligible for the YOM program. They don’t seem to care whether or not it is your car. I have been in the exact same position before. Plates just don’t ‘fall off the record’ anymore. You would truly have to know somebody in Sacramento that owed you a favor. I have done YOM plates on over 30 cars, and this is something different entirely. Technically it is against their rules. As far as using a fake plate goes it’s a crap shoot. You might be fine or you might encounter someone having a bad day. You will definitely need the sticker. The guidelines on the DMV website are vague and there is no mention of the year sticker but it is technically required. I have been turned away for not having one. Reproduction stickers are available online. You might as well be prepared.
    Last edited by METAVINYL; 05-20-2019 at 10:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott A View Post
    Hoping to be helpful, if I understand your question.
    I filled out a form for blue plates, printed it from dmv website.
    I took form to dmv, with two “matching” blue plates in my hands, correct for 1971, with a 71 sticker on it.
    One plate will not work.
    (I had to hammer, weld, sandblast, one plate and paint it blue, it was so rusty and bent up)
    They did not care, or even notice it was painted.
    They charged about $40, looked at the plates, took the form, I signed it, they signed it.
    And a month later they sent me a printed registration paper.

I didn’t confuse them by telling them anything....not my story, where the plates came from, where they we going, nothing.
    Some of it was on the form....

There program is called YOM, year of manufacturer
    The dmv is very clear on what plate they will accept for what year and what car, on the form or website.
    But you have to read it two or three times.
    This is what I did for my '73 BMW 2002. I found a set(2) of matching CA Blue plates that I liked and purchased off E-Bay. Checked with DMV prior to make sure they were clear to use of course. At the time I did not know I needed the YOM sticker and searched and found a guy to sell me one for like $30-40. It took 2 visits to get it done, but not too bad. It definitely helps if the DMV clerk knows the process. I had one that kept having to go to seasoned vet to confirm they were doing it right. They're not original to the car, but they do look period and I was sold the three digit number for 'Luck' sake ! Good Luck buddy! PM me if you need have any questions.
    Paul
    Name:  02 rear1.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  176.8 KB
    1993 964 C2 GPW
    1973 BMW 2002 Verona (Daily)
    1974 914 2.0 Project A/X (in progress)
    1972 911T 2.4 Webers - SOLD
    89 BMW M3 Lachs - my former DD - SOLD
    https://youtu.be/QrF6VEVh1NQ

CA Blue Plates

Quote Originally Posted by Spyerx View Post
    . . . Anyone know a trusted maker of replica plates? I'd put the patina'd original on the car . . .
    Uuuuh --- not sure that reproducing license plates is even legal

Anyway, here 's an alternative . . .

Plate source = felix2 . . .
    http://felix2.com/?ss=California&tt=&yy=&rs=294

Ignore the vendor's description --- 'B' prefix CA blue plates would date from early 1970 . . . stickers were required through '74

Attached Images Attached Images  

We Can Be Heroes

CA Blue Plates

And there's always eBay . . .
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/California-...frcectupt=true

Stickers are available, as well . . .
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-CALIFO...frcectupt=true

Just make sure you know what year you're looking for

Attached Images Attached Images   

We Can Be Heroes

ANY Post '69 License Plate . . .

. . . best reference source I know of . . .

. . . + bookmark it . . .
    https://www.15q.net/

HtH

We Can Be Heroes

If I understand your quandary Spyerx, you need a clean pair of blue Cali tags. I have a nearly spotless set that are yours if you want them. Free. You pay shipping.

Name:  20190520_201557 (2).jpg
Views: 233
Size:  86.7 KB

These came off my '67 S which sat in a warehouse from 1980 to 2008, and it won't be going back to California anytime soon.
    Russ

ESR # 1537

'62 356S Notchback Hotrod
    '67 S Das Geburtstagsgeschenk
    '68 T Targa Sportomatic
    '68 L SW Targa Sportomatic
    '70 914/6 GT