Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: CA Blue Plate re-registraton contacts / help?

Hey thanks for that. Did you need the year sticker for your 71T (ie 1971 sticker)? Assume the plates were just "blue plate 3 letter / 3 number" they don't care on range right?

I've been on the road for work the past 2 weeks, will be picking this up next week.

Appreciate the link to CARS!

Quote Originally Posted by Booker42 View Post
    Hi All - I just completed this process and used a great service. Only $50

C.A.R.S
    California Alternative Registration Service
    21777 Ventura Blvd, #271
    Woodland Hills, CA 91364
    skepear@gmail.com
    818-426-9360 cell
    818-716-8266 office

Skeet Pearson is the owner and she is a kick! She also helped me register my 71T out of an estate sale, which cost a bit more but was very much worth every penny.

I bought the cleared plates from finishyourplates.com, great service there too!

Brett

Hi Spyerx - Yes, I purchased a 1971 tag off eBay for $14. My plates, based on the range, were not actual 1971 plates. DMV needs both of the cleared plates, and a correct year sticker. Took about two days to get the temp registration back but the current year tags are mailed from Sacto and will likely take a few weeks.

Hope this helps!
    Brett

One thing to mention for those interested in staying 'correct' is that all our cars should have steel plates. Stick to the low alphabet plates (Below 501 LXU) and you can't go wrong. Blue plates became aluminum in 1975 and the 'California' spacing and the size of the sticker wells changed slightly. Month stickers did not exist until 1975 either so that is dead giveaway. Nerds in the know can spot it a mile a way.

Well good news... finally called the DMV (not kidding 90 minute wait) on the plates Bullethead sent me. If I understand the woman correctly when I asked her if the "plates were clear for use with year of manufacture" her response was "she doesn't show them tied to any car and are clear".

So off to DMV to get these registered to the car!

Great. Be sure to bring your white plates with you. They will want you to surrender them.

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    Good luck. Sometimes everything works smoothly at the DMV, sometimes not.

The black-on-yellow YoM plates for my 356A came without a hitch after a single DMV visit and my Real ID was quick.

The delays in processing the yellow-on-black YoM plates for my VW and 911 were massive. I had to return to the DMV three times to extend the temporary plates while waiting for the final approval on those YoM plates.

Let us know how it goes.
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA
    Early 911S Registry # 237

1965 Porsche 911 coupe
    1958 Porsche 356A cabriolet

Quote Originally Posted by METAVINYL View Post
    Great. Be sure to bring your white plates with you. They will want you to surrender them.
    Will bring blue plates with sticker, white plates, registration, title just in case. And a check.

Quote Originally Posted by NeunElf View Post
    Good luck. Sometimes everything works smoothly at the DMV, sometimes not.

The black-on-yellow YoM plates for my 356A came without a hitch after a single DMV visit and my Real ID was quick.

The delays in processing the yellow-on-black YoM plates for my VW and 911 were massive. I had to return to the DMV three times to extend the temporary plates while waiting for the final approval on those YoM plates.

Let us know how it goes.
    Have an appointment early next week. Will post back my experience...!!

Let’s do a play by play. At the dmv now
    First checkpoint completed. 2 old plates, right year sticker for year of car, form, old plates, current registration. Now the next line....

10:50 am appointment. Show up 1030. Get in the shorter of 2 lines. I should be here at least 2 hours. With an appointment. Love the dmv.
    Last edited by Spyerx; 07-30-2019 at 10:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spyerx View Post
    Love the dmv.

Love the California DMV. Here in Texas you'd have your plates, a thank you, and a plate of BBQ by now. Good luck!

2 hours is very hopeful. Even with an appointment. I hope you brought a good book