Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cost to restore a 69-72’ 911T? Is it even worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by uai View Post
    YES definetely. Or buy somthing with an overseeable amount of the work that you can do yourself
    "Overseeable" is hella relative term Problem is that unless you really know what your doing, what you believe is "overseeable" is most likely 20 times worse. I'm with uai; buy a finished car and have it thoroughly checked out (I would if I could do it over)
    SEARCHING FOR ENGINE 6208326 (last seen in car with VIN 9111101452)

-70 911E
    -84 3,2 Sold

Cost to restore a 69-72’ 911T? Is it even worth it? NOPE
    cost to repair a 69-72’ 911T? Is it even worth it?: maybe

I am exactly 5 years into restoring a '69T. I expect it will be mostly done and perhaps on the road by the end of today, for the first time in decades. It will be a fabulously beautiful car, but the original plan was to restore it to driver quality. As we got into it, unsuspected issues became evident that required mitigation. Furthermore, as soon as you restore one aspect to a high level, other aspects look seedy by comparison and you decide they need to be improved as well. It's a slippery slope. $100 here, $500 there, $5000 there.....it all adds up. I haven't done the arithmetic, but I'm pretty sure I'm more than $100,000 into it. I can afford that, and I don't plan to sell it, so it's OK, sort of. But if I had to do it all again, I would suck it up and buy a finished car, or go in some entirely different direction. That way, I'd have been able to enjoy the car over the past 5 years.

When your memory suggests that it's more than $100k, it's probably closer to $150k. I've been through this process a few times and keep coming back to advice I got when doing a house restoration: get three estimates and then add them together.
    Embarking on a big restoration makes financial sense only when the car is rare or unique enough that it's value will be close to your final tally. If the car hold strong emotional value (it was your dad's car, etc.) making financial sense isn't as important.
    Bill Morris

Two Considerations

. . . aka an Idiot's Advice

Quote Originally Posted by raspritz View Post
    . . . I am exactly 5 years into restoring a '69T. I expect it will be mostly done and perhaps on the road by the end of today, for the first time in decades . . .

. . . But if I had to do it all again, I would suck it up and buy a finished car, or go in some entirely different direction. That way, I'd have been able to enjoy the car over the past 5 years
    . . .
    My Biggest Consideration = I only have so much time in this world . . . and is this really how I want to spend it?

And --- speaking of spending . . . my 2nd Consideration? . . .

. . . = what do I have to give up to have what I want?

And I'm SOOOO not talking just about money

But --- then/again
    . . .

Attached Images Attached Images  

We Can Be Heroes