Thread: "updating" 1968 seatbelt ideas/advice for fabrication work.

"updating" 1968 seatbelt ideas/advice for fabrication work.

Hello,

One of the things on my to-do list is adding better/safer seatbelts on my '68 project. I think I might like to have the option for a 3 point retractable and also use of harnesses for track day etc.

I am debating on having the b-pillar reinforced for the shoulder guide or possibly adding a bracket to the roll bar. I've got one of the TRE Motorsports roll bars that sits back and gives us a little more room for the head while used on the street without a helmet.

Anyone have any thoughts, ideas, comments or specific threads they would recommend?

Right now the car is at Roy Smalley's shop on the bench getting the rear torsion bar replaced and suspension points squared up. I could have him do the work while the car is there... just need to decide the best way to go about it.

Thanks,

Jay

Jay, you could always install the LWB upper B-post that has the captive thread with spreader plate. I just sold a pair with my 68 project.

Much easier and stronger than adapting the SWB post. Might as well install captive threaded plates on the inner rocker and transmission whilst your welding. Those SWB mounting points are wrong on so many levels these days.

Dave

I was thinking of this exact same project for my 67S however I was talked out of it by numerous people. It can be done but a properly set seatbelt will provide similar "safety." Let's be serious - these are old cars and a 60s car even with a retractable seatbelt is not going to provide protection approaching even the crappiest car of today.

Quote Originally Posted by stretch View Post
    Jay, you could always install the LWB upper B-post that has the captive thread with spreader plate. I just sold a pair with my 68 project.

Much easier and stronger than adapting the SWB post. Might as well install captive threaded plates on the inner rocker and transmission whilst your welding. Those SWB mounting points are wrong on so many levels these days.

Dave
    This is kind of what I was thinking but where to find a donor upper b post?