Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: FS: Porsche 2.8 Engine 46IDA, 92mm RSR Pistons, Twin Plug

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by goodtogo View Post
    Would the 'internals' from this engine bolt straight into & on to standard 1965 model year aluminium cases?
    No.
    Machining of the spigots is required. And you would want to add piston squirters and do oil bypass mod. I would also modify for late chain boxes as well. I actually have one on the shelf ready to go!

(Original intermediate shaft can be retained but never a bad idea to machine for bearings so that a late shaft can be used.)

Quote Originally Posted by goodtogo View Post
    Would the 'internals' from this engine bolt straight into & on to standard 1965 model year aluminium cases?
    You will need to enlarge the cylinder drills from something like 92mm to 97mm and to change the intermediate shaft.
    them alu case is really great and strong but a 65 one is maybe too nice for this purpose...

The 2.8 on carbs is a really cool engine, I run yhis kind of setup in my 68 swb and this is the best choice I made for my Porsche addiction.

Ok, thanks Frank.
    Looking for 1967 911 trans 130830/902-1

I will take the engine. I sent a PM.

1969 Crystal Blue 911S
    1969 Coffee Brown 911T
    1988 Guards Red 930
    1973 Ravenna Green 914 2.0L
    and 11 others sold or in the wings.....

Sold??.......
    Lee Fishpaw

O Gruppe #20
    Early S Reg #2175
    R Gruppe #714
    '70 914-6
    '88 911
    '85 928S
    '74 260Z
    '74 TR6

Quote Originally Posted by 767driver View Post
    Sold??.......
    Yes, I bought it... sorta surprised that Brad hasn't updated the thread.
    Russ

ESR # 1537

'62 356S Notchback Hotrod
    '67 S Das Geburtstagsgeschenk
    '68 T Targa Sportomatic
    '68 L SW Targa Sportomatic
    '70 914/6 GT

So Frank--If 92mm and Mag do not mix; would it help the stresses with a 92mm and 66 crank? Chris
    1. Chris-Early S Registry#205
    2. '70 911S Tangerine
    3. '68 911L Euro Ossi Blue

While not a long lasting choice for racing, “Don’t mix” is fake news. There are a lot of carefully built 2.8s out there built on 7r cases with standard (not Rsr) heads.

Search for the late master builder Grady Clay on the ‘bird for tons of info on this combination. I’ve got a twin plug 2.8 that is easy starting, runs well and has been very reliable. Pretty quick too.

Banned
    Same speech I give M96 owners who ask if they should upgrade their IMS:

It really sucks to be part of that 10-20% who experience a failure.

Who, with an ounce of common sense would choose to build a motor with a butter-soft mag case when they could literally have a bullet-proof alu case for an extra $5k?

MY personal experience has shown that years of 8500 rpm shifts at 210+ oil temp lap after after lap eventually fatigues a mag case. It’s not if but when.

This engine has sold. Thank you 911s registry.