Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: White Car Threads . . .

member #1515
    73S GP White
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

Hi David

Was the car special order painted in white in 73 or am I incorrect in thinking /stating that GP white was a colour specifically reserved for RS that model year? Always open to learn on such details.

Is that two model 73 S painted by in white including the one in post #2?

Cheers

Steve
    Last edited by 911MRP; 05-27-2019 at 11:08 AM.

member #1515
    Hi Steve,
    My car came from the factory in silver, but the original two stage clear coat cracked in the Texas heat within a couple of years. I had it repainted to GP White around 82. I believe the only white available for other models was Ivory White. Yes the GP was reserved for RS cars. Since RS's were not available stateside at the time. I created my own. Nikasil P&C and my MFI changed to RS spec, RS flares at the rear. Apart from the additional "flexibility" of the Targa it drives just like a real one. I've driven a few, even a 3.0 RS, (my favorite).
    David

Interesting it didn't last David. I understand the metalic wasn't available for RS generally due to the compatability of paint and it's fibreglass body parts? Curious to read the 73S car in post #2 is said to be white since October 72 so maybe repainted very early in model 73 or maybe a special request paint job new as haven't seen white in standard or special paints booklets from 73... other than as available only for Carrera RS.

GP white and Mexico blue of wheels were both 74 colours iirc

Best

Steve
    Last edited by 911MRP; 05-28-2019 at 01:28 AM. Reason: Typo

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    Light Ivory is white. GP white on the 73 RS is whiter. Another Light Ivory 73. 131-9-2
    Attached Images Attached Images  

member #1515
    Quote Originally Posted by 911MRP View Post
    Interesting it didn't last David. I understand the metalic wasn't available for RS generally due to the compatability of paint and it's fibreglass body parts?

Best

Steve
    I don't think the metallic paint was compatible with steel panels either, at least not with the extreme heat and sunshine here. It was a pretty common failure. The clear coat cracked and hazed. I think the car in post #2 is Light Ivory, not quite as bright as GP White as Gled said.
    White is a much safer color than silver too, more visible. white reduces the temperature too, although with the black vinyl on the roof and the enlarged glass area of the Targa that's a moot point. Good thing A/C works well.
    David

Light Ivory 1973 "S" ....

Member #2768 http://www.no-speedlimit.it

• 1973 Biancaneve - 911 2.4 S/F Ivory
    • 1977 Fiona - 911 Carrera 3.0 Oak Green Metallic
    • 1993 Bellatrix - 964 Turbo 3.6 Black

I keep a registry of 1972 and 1973 2.4 S coupé chassis. Infos always welcome!!!

Instagram
    Twitter

According to my records:

9113301387 = "paint to sample" in GPW

I have a doubt on a couple of other cars (one ex Almeras and another one factory "special purpose") but i don't have the CoA to confirm it.

Instagram
    Twitter

For 1972 MY, my "suspects" for special order GPW are:

Coupe' 1193 and 1576. Cannot firmly confirm either of the two

Instagram
    Twitter

Thanks for sharing knowledge. Interesting to see there are one or two GPW as paint to sample beyond the GPW RS examples but if owner was willing to pay for special paint or were " friends" I suppose they got what they wanted.

911 of that era look nice in light ivory particularly of Porsche sides stripe in back imo.

I once worked as a director for a well known automotive OEM and had a company car as part of my contact that was a lightweight limited edition one of less than fifty examples they made, all supposed to be in silver paint but the CEO got his in ice blue one and I had mine painted new in black as special order. Never again black is hard to keep clean on an everyday use car ; ). In fact still have that cars build papers in my office but not so far found the current owner despite contacting the owner clubs to try to share them not surfaced yet.