Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: $1K 68 Sportomatic

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

$1K 68 Sportomatic

I'd like to introduce myself, I'm a high school teacher of 27 years in Northern Virginia. I have always loved the 911 but being a teacher they were our of my grasp. I've been a builder of old Jeeps for a long time and recently started with MG's.

I acquired this 1968 Sportomatic a few weeks ago and her is how it happened.

This started Feb 11, 2019
    I was not there when this all went down. All done by my Fiance = Awesome Girl.
    So my fiance and i just bought a new house. She wanted a whole house generator so I was seeking bids for it. I picked a company and when she met to finalize the deal with the owner of the company they got to talking about what i did. She told him about all the old jeeps and an MG I built. She told him I did all the work myself and really enjoyed it.
    He said he has an old car that his wife is nagging him to get out of the yard. He needs to make room for a boat and an old Ford Bronco.

She was curious and asked what it was. He said an old rusty 911S. WHAT? how much?
    she was thinking he was going to say $20K or something out of our budget.
    It has been in the family for a 40 years or so and he wanted it taken car of and not parted out.
    She agreed we would do our best to get it back on the road again. He liked that idea.

He said how about $1K? What? Deal!! Ill take it.
    He asked "don't you want to see it first" Nope! I'll write you a check or cash tonight. He can pick it up tomorrow. She was thinking what a great Valentines gift.

They shook on it, and he said he would bring it out when he installed the generator. Fast forward to 3 weeks ago. We had to wait 2 months before permits and the generator arrived. she would text him asking about it but it would be a wee or 2 before we would hear back. Driving me crazy. I was sure it researched it and knew what he had and the handshake deal was done.

Well one Sunday he texted and said can you pick it up today around 5 pm. Hell yes!!! Went there with my trailer and winched it up. Had been sitting so long the tires sank into the earth to the rim. Turned out not to be an S but a Sportomatic.
    Got it home and into my garage.

So that's how i ended up with a 911. I have always loved them but kind of gave up on ever getting one. We were not even looking it just happened.

SWEET!!!

1968 Sportomatic
    54K miles
    All original except for a respray at some point.
    Missing original wheels.
    Been off the road since 89
    I pulled it out of his yard.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Welcome Carl.... Good luck on the project
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Amazing deal any way you look at it for $1,000...

very cool!

love a good find and good story.

Looks like a big project as they most always are. But for that money you can enjoy just taking it apart and picking away at it.
    At the end of the day, it is tags and title with matching powertrain. worth 15-20k.
    LOOKING FOR 1967S TRANSMISSION #103586
    Looking For 1969T Engine #6195922
    Looking For 1969T Transmission #7194313

Looking for 1969T Transmission #7195495
    www.tcspeed.com

Congratulations on a killer deal and welcome to the sometimes confounding world of Sportomatic ownership! Sadly, the website that was a trove of info is long gone, but there are enough owners here that can offer technical assistance.
    Some parts are hard to find, but if you choose to keep it original, once properly sorted there's little to worry about. Ours is a dependable daily driver with over 225,000 miles on the clock.
    Last edited by Chuck Miller; 05-13-2019 at 01:04 PM.
    Russ

ESR # 1537

'62 356S Notchback Hotrod
    '67 S Das Geburtstagsgeschenk
    '68 T Targa Sportomatic
    '68 L SW Targa Sportomatic
    '70 914/6 GT

Banned
    Finally!

A fair buy on a Sportomatic.

Congrats. An adventure awaits.

Russ censored?

The end is certainly near.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Beck View Post

Russ censored?

The end is certainly near.
    i`m sure it was only a typo corrected by the tower...or did you screenshoot any plain-talking

Carl,welcome...great colour!!

Congrats and best of luck.

Nice steering wheel.
    1957 356A Cab Condor Yellow
    1970 911E Targa “CONDA G”
    1970 911T3.2 “Meatballs”
    1972 911T2.5 “AWBRGN”
    1972 911T Targa Glaserblau
    1976 911S Talbot Yellow

Thank you so much for the welcomes. I plan on performing most of the work myself. I have dealt with rust with building Jeep CJ7 rock crawlers. I plan it taking 3-4 years to build and as stated just chip away at it. Besides the rust that is visible, it will need suspension pan, floors, rear seats, pass side rockers, door sill patch. The metal is thin due to the original rubber floor mats keeping in the moisture and rusting from the inside out.
    I'm used to rust so that's not a big deal due to dealing with the older Jeeps. I can weld, fabricate, paint etc. so should be able to save $$$ there. I have a friend who teaches auto body and agreed to take on the doors, trunk lid, fenders. Might need to replace pass fender and rear lid.

It is all original except for rims and it was resprayed. Original color is Ossi Blue. I will be returning it to the original color.

Engine has 51000 with a awesome leak down test performed in 1977. 400 miles since test.
    8% 6% 4% 4% 2% 4%

The plan is to drop the engine, strip the chassis, build a rotisserie, and start rust removal.

Will keep it Sportomatic.

I pulled the wheel and striped it for new lacquer. it is amazingly clean. not a single crack. I am waiting on my special order Lacquer paint. I'll post pics when I return to school.