Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have color code from 1969, but no supplier can find the recipe

Have color code from 1969, but no supplier can find the recipe

I have been looking for the ultimate color to paint my F-model targa, as I can not stand the guards red paint a previous owner applied to it.

From my point of view, the flashy colors that were so popular in the hippie era don’t look stylish on a 911, especially not on a targa. There amongst the bright yellow paint mine was delivered in. Also, metallic paint goes better with the brushed steel surface of the targa bar than “flat” colors.

For a few years gold metallic has been my favorite candidate among contemporary Porsche colors, but recently I changed my mind. That was when I discovered that the 1969 911 delivered to Ferry Porsche himself had the ultimate targa color. I had spottet it earlier on models from other suppliers, but it wat not until then I realized that this particular green metallic tone came originally on a 911.

The problem is that no paint supplier can mix the color according to the paint code on Ferry's 911. Not even DuPont Herberts, who was the supplier of the beautiful green back then. The sign on the door post reads 51-08907-H (H for Herberts). Can anyone help?
    Attached Images Attached Images

The information I found suggest that the color was "custom" for this 911, but code 98 not 99; The difference being 98 was a known color and 99 was a match to sample.
    To me this indicates that the color was used elsewhere. Your comment above seems to confirm this. So I would pursue these models from other suppliers to track down the formula. Perhaps the owner of the 911 or a previous owner may have already found a formula for touchups.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

I thought that there was an olive metallic in the years around 1976 or 78.
    I will look around.

But the one below may be real close to that early Ferry car.

8D72D49F-7BB4-4F9F-8DB1-0BF9B1623EF5.jpg
    Scott

Current long term ownership: 63 Cab, 71 911, 74 914

One more, I have a gold metallic car. I couldn’t live with it. So I stripped it and painted it olive. Which every day is amazing.
    But I also love love love this color, often called hunter green. i am not a fan of metallics. And I cannot paint metallic.
    F348CB17-E3F3-4A51-BF0A-C2C97DE8DAD6.jpg

895558F0-968E-4B2B-B84B-25B760EDF849.jpg

8F0A01A4-0737-4AD5-9784-2054C65A9CF0.jpg

Thanks, but it have to be that exact color. If not, I can not claim that it is a "Porsche color". Similar is not enough, no matter how close. It is also difficult to judge the proximity when all I have is some photos.

I think that you will have to accept that you will never know the exact formula for color code 08907 unless Herberts can find it for you. Then to duplicate that color with today's pigments and other materials will be VERY difficult. Even the metal flake used then is different from today's material.
    If you want a "Porsche color", then choose one that is known. Perhaps the 2009 Cayenne olive metallic shown above.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

How about asking Porsche Classic? If they restore a early 911 S with non-standard color, I suppose they will dig deep to fint the right recipe.

Those are both Porsche colors. Just different year from 1969.

Even if you find the code. If you spray a car on a different day, temp, humidity, it will look different.
    Especially metallic.
    I have been painting for 35 yrs.
    Go to an old Porsche show, the guys with the ruby red cars will all say they are correct, and they will all be different.
    The slate greys will be brown and green and blue. All different.
    The code is not the key.....in any way.
    You would have to match a car panel. That’s what classic would have to do. That’s what you would have to do.

912->911 conversion
    Einar,

Several years ago (at least a decade at this point), a friend was restoring a 1955 356 Continental and similarly the original colour was not in a recipe book. He visited the museum and spoke to their restorers who proceeded to mix up about 4 different test panels for him (provided he returned the next day to pick them up) so that he could compare to an area on the body to find the closest match (and now with a recipe in hand). If your colour does not exist in any of the formulation books available, you may have to go down that route. If you do not have original paint on your car, you may have to find another one of Ferry's cars to compare it to if you are so focused on 100% originality. Perhaps Porsche Classic in Stuttgart may have information on the original colour as well (one can always hope).
    Keith Adams
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Early 911S Registry #906 | PCA member IG: @912R
    1969 Blutorange 912R - 912 to 911 conversion
    1969 Mercedes 280 SE (W111) Coupe

You need a paint shop with the ability to "tint". It also requires a painter with a keen eye. Base/clears don't work the same as single stage. I'm not a fan of single stage because blending isn't an option if there is damage to a panel in the future.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111