Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unexpected Private Porsche Museum Tour

Unexpected Private Porsche Museum Tour

So...

My younger son is in Stuttgart. A very good friend of our family (our high school Exchange student from Germany) got married and we paid for our son to attend (he lives in Denver currently). After the wedding this past Sunday, he had a free day on Monday and headed to the museum for a visit. Sadly, he found it was closed on Monday in general (and would be closed on at least Tuesday for updating). I'll tell the rest of the story once I do a better job of capturing it, but, a turn of events connected him with the manager of museum and he got a private tour while they were updating the exhibits! More to come but here is a teaser.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Thumbs up

Outstanding !!!!
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Lucky boy, to have such parents first, and to visit the museum in such conditions

I actually wanted to go to this wedding with my wife and son as we loved the exchange experience. Alas, it was not meant to be so we were thrilled to help our son make the trip and represent our family. As for more of the story...

Apparently there is some type of restaurant at the museum. My son wanted to continue to practice his German (he took German in middle school and high school which connected him to the exchange program...he became much more proficient in a second language than I ever dreamed of) and so asked, in German, what other things were fun to do in the area to two women working there. They apparently just ignored him but a manager observed the interchange and expressed apologies. A conversation ensued and the manager expressed gratitude that my son had come all the way from America to visit. My son acknowledged his love of Porsches based on his Dad's ownership of and racing of Porsches. The manager apparently enjoyed the story as a great tour ensued!

Now I just have to figure out how to rotate all of his portrait-oriented photos!
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa

Banned
    What a great experience. Excellent parents indeed!

Did he get a pic of the 2 witches that ignored him by any chance? Perhaps a public mocking is appropriate? I’ll be happy to fall on the sword if necessary.

Ha! No, but he did have a nice chat with the manager that gave him the tour. Apparently the manager wanted to practice his English with my son. When he found out my son was originally from the Bay Area (now he's in Denver), they talked about Steve McQueen and how he drove in SF in Bullitt. This manager apparently tried it late one night when he visited SF once!
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa

Now I just need to work on these darned photos on my PC rather than my iPad!
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa

912->911 conversion
    Quote Originally Posted by 72targa View Post
    Ha! No, but he did have a nice chat with the manager that gave him the tour. Apparently the manager wanted to practice his English with my son.
    My friend (locally here) is now married to a wonderful woman whom he met who worked at the Porsche museum - she wanted someone to practice English with. Those Porsches are magical
    Keith Adams
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Early 911S Registry #906 | PCA member IG: @912R
    1969 Blutorange 912R - 912 to 911 conversion
    1969 Mercedes 280 SE (W111) Coupe

The museum was getting ready for the 917 anniversary. I will post pictures shortly.

Following
    Member #2768 http://www.no-speedlimit.it

• 1973 Biancaneve - 911 2.4 S/F Ivory
    • 1977 Fiona - 911 Carrera 3.0 Oak Green Metallic
    • 1993 Bellatrix - 964 Turbo 3.6 Black

I keep a registry of 1972 and 1973 2.4 S coupé chassis. Infos always welcome!!!

Instagram
    Twitter