Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Inherited 1967 911s targa, not sure where to start

Wow. Nice first post. But wait...you have the most valuable material asset aside from your house sitting in the driveway? Step 1, clean the garage out and move it inside!

Free advice. You don’t want to start down the restoration path (100k +). Tidy it up, get it running and have fun with it. Patina rides are hip.
    Renn-Spot - Cars & parts For Sale - http://renn-spot.blogspot.com/
    1970 911"S" - Black (originally silver)
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    1973 911"T" - Bahia Red - Now Sold
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Breazeale View Post
    I understand you are in the Bay Area. There is a huge Porsche community here. Tons of resources and like minded Porsche owners and enthusiasts. Lots of good advice given so far. I especially like the idea of going slowly and enlisting the help of the community. Your dad passed one of the most iconic Porsches of all time to you and I really appreciate your decision to keep it in the family. Please feel free to email me for advice and I can also provide you with a list of trusted people and Porsche related activities in this area.

Regards

Jim
    easypor@sbcglobal.net.
    And you won't find a nicer, more trustworthy, or more connected guy than Jim (above) to point you in the right directions to save this car. Like you, and me, another East Bay denizen. And, if this car reminds you of your father, I very much hope you'll keep and restore it. A short-wheelbase 911S Targa is a very special car, and well worth saving. You might also ask Jim about this engine builder, who is also my engine builder...and worth looking into. There may be resources in his neck of the woods that could prove helpful with bodywork and more. I may have some more ideas for you if you wish. First and most important thing is to get it indoors as soon as you can, away from prying eyes and out of the weather (even the fog). Yes, it's been out, but whatever you can do to get it out of the elements from here forward will help you quite a bit.

Best,

pete

Quote Originally Posted by popowitz View Post
    . . . The 67 S is a highly collectible car. The soft window targa '67 S is exceedingly rare. If yours is numbers matching then its even more valuable . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by Eade Hopkinson View Post
    . . . Red Book has these numbers:
    1967S softie 483
    . . .

We Can Be Heroes

A few followups.
    I don’t have a garage to store the car in. The garage pictured is my step-mom’ and she is selling her house. What is the best non garage option. I have space outside at work whene I can keep it. Is there a tent/carport that I build relatively cheaply?
    I’m trying to gather as much information as possible. My step-mom missplaced the keys in all the moving craziness. I’ve contacted the dealer ship to see if we can get new keys if the old ones are lost for good. Once I have keys I can get pictures of the interior and engine.
    As far as first steps, I’m thinking new tires are a must. I want to be able to move it easier. Recommendations for tires?
    I’ll update this thread as I get more information. Thanks for all the help so far.

1) mini storage, you do not want that in a 'tent' Ca is a high crime area for auto thefts.

2) 3 tires are holding air, see if flat one will hold air long enough to flat bed to storage area. You don't need four new tires to sit again.

3) try a good lock smith, dealers don't even have employees who were born then, much less get the keys,,,and you don't have lock code anyway.

4) get it running first, then worry about details.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Quote Originally Posted by samuraitiki View Post
    . . . don’t have a garage to store the car in . . . . What is the best non garage option . . .
    ?

Hhh --- K, try this . . .
    https://www.yelp.com/search?find_des...rancisco%2C+CA

We Can Be Heroes

Quote Originally Posted by samuraitiki View Post
    I don’t have a garage to store the car in… I have space outside at work whene I can keep it.

It's raining outside tonight and the rest of this week, which is only going to cost you when it comes to the eventual work to put this car back on the road...and some would worry that this car will simply disappear from her driveway or your work, never to be seen again—particularly now that it's been posted to the internet with its city of residence. At the very least, I'd be sure it's properly covered when it comes to insurance tomorrow—but I'd really try to get this car into covered storage ASAP. This should be doable. All this said with your interests at heart...this is a cool car and a cool story, and it would be neat to see you keep and restore it—even if only enough to drive and enjoy it.

Ed's advice above is all spot on.

EDIT: looking at the pictures, those may not be the stock wheels so consider that in choosing tires. I never had an SWB so others will know better.

Put a tarp or car cover it for now if it has to sit outside. And insure it. And park another car behind it so no one can tow it away easily. Before I had money to build a garage, I did a ton of mechanical work on my gravel driveway. Like I said, I am not sure of your mechanical ability (or financial resources). Tires will open a whole can of worms for opinions, but for the financially prudent, you can get the stock size tires (which I believe are 165 80 R15) very inexpensively (like $50 each from amazon or discount tire for federal brand or the Chinese tires) which would be fine to both roll around on and enjoy the car. The other alternative is the Sprint Classic by Vredestein for $121 at tire rack which gives a more period appropriate look. I am sure there are other options as well. One lesson I learned was the stock size is usually fine/best. Of course, to just get it to roll, put some air in the flat tire and see if it holds.

If I were local, I would head over for a day and help you try to get it running and driving.

Wheels sure look like 15x7 Fuchs, and certainly aren't 15x6s. It's hard to imagine 15x8s with this bodywork (looks like very mild factory flares in back only?). So, given that it's a narrow car and you've probably got 7s, a 195/65R15 or 185/70R15 is probably your best bet. 165R15 is gonna be too narrow on a 7-inch wheel, I think?

I'd just go over to TireRack and buy a cheap set of 185/70R15 tires that will hold air—or just one tire to replace the one that doesn't hold air?—and spend the difference on indoor storage. Unless it's super rusty in all the wrong places, this is so a car worth saving.

I'd also recommend anonymizing your city/state here on the forum, and maybe deleting the link to those photos until you've got the car stashed away.

Hope to see you smiling in this car on Bay Area roads soon!

pete

Great first post! A 67S SWT is a valuable car and even more valuable given your family's history with it. You have been given very sound advice by some of the most knowledgeable and trusted Early S guys around (Jim, Pete, Ed, Dave....). Get that thing secured inside dry storage ASAP. Do not leave it outside - please. Theft is a very real possibility with that car. There is a strong and trusted Early S community in the Bay Area that I am sure will be willing to help you out in the short term.

Good luck with the project! Keep us posted on the progress. I will echo other's thoughts on getting it inside, cleaned up, assess the needs, and slowly work to getting it driving safely. Keep the patina for now and pass on the full restoration route is my opinion.
    Scott H.
    1969 Coupe LtWt
    1973.5 911T