Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Everybody into the pool

Everybody into the pool

Here is another of my arcane observations. Somewhere I read that it was speculated that Porsche painted cars in batches of a certain color. Makes sense as to mixing up a batch of paint and cleaning out the apparatus. As some of you may be aware. I am the nut trying to catalog as many of the 67 targas as may still exist (see my list here on ESR). Still woefully short but noticed the following:

500 262-263 Irish green
    500 470, 472, 473 Polo red
    500 612-613 Polo red
    500 700-701 Light Ivory

Interesting one is 500596 and 500600. Bahama yellow I think with not too much spread in numbers. All look like batches to me.

As an aside I'm open to more entries for the list.

Thanks

Tom
    Last edited by doigthom; 05-18-2019 at 04:18 AM.

i have a friend with a 67S targa that was originally red. he has the soft window, but now it is hard.
    he is not online. and he is hidden away in the hills. and completely off grid.
    anyway, I should have his VIN, i would guess it was polo red.

Current long term ownership: 63 Cab, 71 911, 74 914

Scott A picture would be great also if you have it but I add just a VIN if the cars is currently known to exist. Thanks

Tom

Tom,

I have 500213, 3-30-67 production date, 6602 Polo Red. Engine# 911541 Trans#131188(902/1) All #s match.

Ed

Ed

Thank you very much. Would love to get a picture. If you PM me I'll send you my email address. Easier to send pictures, Also I'd delete the engine and tranny numbers in the above entry. That info I don't collect and info i don't think that should be put out there. Porsche will only confirm matching numbers if you give them the info. Guess they are worried about something. Of course easy enough to find out if somebody gets a Kardex. I've put your production date in. In hindsight I wish I had collected that data from the others when possible. My 500254S was produced on 3/13/67. Your non S but lower VIN number was produced after mine. Very interesting. Thanks again

Tom

After Ed ewas kind enough to send me the above I realized in retrospect that I should have been recording production dates. Went back to my files and tried to cull whatever I could find to add to my list. Interestingly when I looked back at 500673 I noticed something unusual. The COA said tinted rear window. Looked at the few pictures that I had and it apears that it was probably hard window. Guess the option came out before the end of the '67 run. Something I was unaware of.
    I don't remember if thre pictures were tasken when the car was under restoration. Name:  ebay344450.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  33.9 KBName:  ebay344449.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  64.0 KBName:  ebay344447 (1).jpg
Views: 229
Size:  70.6 KB

can't a plastic zipper window be tinted too?

Current long term ownership: 63 Cab, 71 911, 74 914

I don't know. Interesting question. I note that this car has had some work done as per the later model headrest seats.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott A View Post
    can't a plastic zipper window be tinted too?
    Not that I am aware of.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

Name:  ebay344450.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  33.9 KB

As cool as SWT’s are I’d think that a ‘67 with a factory ordered hardback window would be very rare and add to the value.
    Reg#2218