Thread: Which engine to upgrade which long hood?

Which engine to upgrade which long hood?

Modifying an S has become an expensive proposition. For us wanna be’s, what’s a good upgraded engine/long hood combination for the most bang for the buck?
    ‘87 911
    ‘66 304307
    S Registry #3791
    David Cate

Do you mean something like buying a late year non S LWB and upgrading the engine? You can upgrade to 2.7 ltr and get more power, or a 2.5 SS. None of it is a particularly cheap proposition. Probably get better bang for the buck buying an S in the first place unless you just like tinkering.
    Reminds me of a friend I had who bought a BMW 318 and bought all the parts to upgrade it to an M3. Would have been cheaper to start with the M3
    Chuck

Early 911S registry #380
    '70S
    '75S
    '96 C4S
    '65 R69S

Build a nice high revving 2.2-2.5. Spend the money and build a proper motor and you will get that back in the value of your car. The character of a SWB is to build hp in the higher RPM range so I would keep that character in the new motor, just make it bigger so you get some torque and more power. I have a 2.8 in my 67s and it's a bit too much motor for those cars. I'm not complaining but I think 2.2-2.5 would hit a sweet spot and you can still keep your 901 transmission. On that not, custom gearing can help a lot also.
    '67 911S
    '69 911S
    '70 911ST
    '73 911T Targa Signal Yellow
    '78 911SC backdate EFI 3.4 turbo
    '11 Spyder
    Early S#1097, R-gruppe #

If you don't have a ton of cash, as is my case, I'd find a 912 that someone else has modified to a six. The modification is not as easy or as cheap as you might imagine. Better to buy one that has been done well. I bought my '66 conversion without an engine. I installed a stock 2.2 T engine as a place holder while I decided which engine I wanted. Then, after driving it for a while, I decided the 2.2 T was plenty fast for me. For the price of a hotter engine, I bought a Lotus Elan to play with.
    '66 912 with a 2.2
    '62 Lotus Seven S2
    '66 Lotus Elan
    '63 Karmann Ghia convertible
    '76 Alfa Spider

My .02
    You also need to account for your intended usage.

While none of these suggestions appear to be meant for a track car, you may want to consider that in your calculations. On the other end, will it also be used as a grocery-getter? I found that a hot motor in my 911's often made it somewhat uncomfortable for just "tooling about" town, going to a C & C, etc. Right now I am running an LWB chassis with a 2.4 with E cams and it is just about perfect for my uses which are canyon carving and occasionally taking the wife to dinner --
    Jim

__________________________________________________ ___________
    Early S Registry #2359

1970 Porsche 911 Rally 2.4
    2018 Porsche Macan GTS

If I was building a modded longhood I would seriously consider getting a cheap, solid G-body 2.7, preferably one that already has bright trim. Convert fenders/hood to longhood style, add fiberglass bumpers of your choice and a few other early 911 styling cues, and carbs/cams to the 2.7, and you have a great, fun, early 911 for pennies on the dollar.

I just finished a backdate of a 1975 to 1970ishS visual spec but with slightly modified 3.0 engine with PMOs and a 915 gearbox Long hood looks w 3.0 liter torque and fun. And I don't have to worry about adding miles to an already expensive car. OH, did I mention the torque . Seats were custom made by Stephan at GTS Classic. He took the OEM seats from my 75 911s and made these for me. Notice how he took out some of the padding in the driver's seat so I can sit lower in the car. NOTE: This is a driver's car and not meant to be period correct in any fashion. Harvey did the wheels in 72RS spec finish. Wheels are 6x15 at each corner.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by JackMan; 05-27-2019 at 10:02 AM.

.. and yes I missed my parking marks, my wife reminded me. All the body panels are steel. We bought Porsche Classic fenders and they still took 10 hours a piece to be massaged into place.

recently completed 2.7 twin plug, s cams, 915....the passing power and torque over 3500 is addictive