Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Anyone here going to Parade this Year?

It’s a competition. Like driving on a track, if you do it enough and learn the rules, you will get good at it. If you want to win, you have to play by the rules. Is it sustainable? Time will tell. There are more informal events, but like ribbons for kindergartners, they don’t mean much. The Parade concours is still fiercely competitive, so the interest is still there. Perhaps a lot less half serious folks which is too bad, but I fall in that category. There are just too many other events I would rather participate in. Perhaps next year.
    Chuck
    Chuck

Early 911S registry #380
    '70S
    '75S
    '96 C4S
    '65 R69S

Quote Originally Posted by Arne View Post
    My understanding is that PCA concours is more about cleanliness and presentation, not so much about correctness or originality.
    There are different classes,,,,some that count originality,,,some don't. As to the judges,,,,some are good,,,,some not so good, always looking for the experts to step up and help us amateurs out!
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Quote Originally Posted by Arne View Post
    This. While my wife and I both enjoy checking out other people's cars at shows and concours events, nothing else at Parade really interests us. I personally wouldn't mind participating in a casual auto-x, but I gather that auto-x at Parade is far from a friendly casual event. Way too serious for me to think about. Since checking out other cars is all we would be interested in, we couldn't even be bothered to go to Spokane, which is a one-day drive from here. Boca in July? 3000+ miles away? Not happening.

Did Werks in 2017, but even that was not something I'd want to do annually. The air-cooled attendance that year was disappointing.
    I'm curious, what IS a casual autocross??? Runs not timed,,,then you're right,,,it was a SERIOUS autocross,,,,runs were timed.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Banned
    Like a casual restoration Ed; full detail, spray bomb the underside, and throw a new hood badge on.

A casual autocross must be like a sympathetic restoration. I had a car in the Ozarks Parade Concours last year. Believe me originality counted at least in our class. And the judges, well lets say that our most prodigious question answerer and helper of those in need, Ed Mayo, was one. Also John Cramer another board member who has bailed out many as well. I'm sure the others were equally adept. The Concours was a once in a lifetime thing for me and I'm glad I did it. It is no less important than autocross or R Gruppe or club racing or any endeavor that gets your attention. Those who disparage are usually ill informed. Some very important and historical Porsches have been shown at the PCA Concours after a long restoration and gone on to be driven and run like they should be.
    Last edited by steve shea; 08-03-2019 at 07:01 AM.
    Steve Shea #1 joined a long time ago
    58 speedster
    66 912
    67S
    73S
    97 VW eurovan
    1132 honda snowblower

member Jackson Hole Ski Club

Concours is actually quite hard and requires more than "Chemical Brothers" spray detailer and a rag. Some of the restorations are years in the making. "Not getting it" is understandable as it's difficult to fathom the time and money that goes into this sort of "car craziness".

"My understanding is that PCA concours is more about cleanliness and presentation, not so much about correctness or originality."

Not so. It's all of the above. It has to be correct. It has to be original. It has to be clean. And, it has to be properly presented.

If you've ever been to a shop that does this sort of work like Canepa, Wilhoit, Auto Associates and Jeanette you'd get an understanding of the details that cannot be glossed over. Nut and bolt finishes, body panel fit (gaps), paint, wiring, decals and all hard parts and soft parts like interior. They also have to run! If a car cannot be driven under it's own power it's an automatic DQ.

Regarding correctness, originality and whether judges are paying attention to details?

This SC was gigged for a bumper bolt found that the judges thought shouldn't have been painted. Car lost a 10th or 2. The bolt was later determined to be correctly finished.
    The judges do pay attention. This sort of attention to detail is all anyone needs to know about whether the judges are paying attention.

My hat is off to all of them, including Ed Mayo, who has forgotten more about these cars than most will ever know.

The car won Class as well as Best Restoration. 299/300
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

I just barely got in the general parking lot at Amelia. I could not get in this event:

Doc
    1972 Porsche 911
    2023 Porsche 911 Turbo
    2019 Ford Mustang Shelby GT350

Quote Originally Posted by Vintage Racer View Post
    I just barely got in the general parking lot at Amelia. I could not get in this event:
    Amelia has gotten very crowded. We buy tickets early. Parking around The Ritz can be a problem so a shuttle or taxi is best if you're staying on the island.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Quote Originally Posted by sithot View Post
    ..Amelia has gotten very crowded..
    I get it Tom. I remember not long ago when we had many Porsche cars show up for a local car show. I'd say those days are gone. Amelia is crowded because of other cars.

I will look forward to the next Rennsport Reunion.
    Doc
    1972 Porsche 911
    2023 Porsche 911 Turbo
    2019 Ford Mustang Shelby GT350

As to Amelia, get up very early and avoid the people. Many cars are already on the field the night before or trickling in for placement before the crowds (and sun) shows up and opportunities to photograph are better to0. Don't let the above picture dissuade from going....unless you are a late riser and love the up close and personal perspiration of others.