Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Are Michelin XWX's worth it?

Auckland, New Zealand. And Los Angeles, USA.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by blue72s View Post
    They look great although a little under inflated? With 7-inch wheels the stance would be even better.
    30 psi up front, 34 psi out back - rides nice! Regular 7s won’t fit under the arches, tried but they were too close for comfort, (have pair of 7Rs but not tempted to use them yet!)
    Also don’t want to go any wider than 205, I like the nimbleness of narrow tyres on a narrow body 911.

Agree with you on 7s or even 7 & 8s on a flared fender car, regarding stance! Now if I had another long hood …….
    Kiwi
    1972 911S
    1967 912
    1959 356A Conv D
    Early S Registry # 306

911kiwi : 205/65's , the tires certainly have the dune buggy look , I think they are too big .

Auckland, New Zealand. And Los Angeles, USA.
    I think that we are so attuned to looking at wider low profile tyres on modern cars, period look tyres appear that way.
    Placed side by side with my original spare - 1972 185/70 15 Michelin XWX - that has never touched the road - the modern 205/65 is exactly the same height.
    Kiwi
    1972 911S
    1967 912
    1959 356A Conv D
    Early S Registry # 306

I have the Vredesteins on my '73. I was "on a budget" at the time and didn't want to spend the money on CN36s. I have 6 x 15 wheels. The vintage look is important to me, as is the correct size. I feel that the gear ratios, springs, shocks and sway bars were designed for the specified tire size. That being said, I used to run A008Ps (195/65) and thought the combination of grip and comfort was great. I don't drive the car on a track, but I do drive in a spirited manner on the mountain roads near me. The thing I notice most about the Vredersteins is traction. I squeal the tires under acceleration and that never happened with the Yokos. Next time I will splurge on the CN36s. I have read too many bad reports on the XWX handling and wet weather performance (not that I ever intentionally drive my '73 in the rain)
    73 911S Targa

Quote Originally Posted by Boulder Bob View Post
    The thing I notice most about the Vredersteins is traction. I squeal the tires under acceleration and that never happened with the Yokos.
    Thanks for sharing. I'll not buy Vredesteins then.