Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Early 911 Restoration: media blast, acid dip, or electrolytic immersed??

Early 911 Restoration: media blast, acid dip, or electrolytic immersed??

Hello Restoration wizards,
    I’m researching restoration for my 1965 911 and I’m looking for the best option for restoration. Media blast, acid dip, or electrolytic immersed? I read about a shop in Oregon, USA that uses electrolytic immersion and it looks like a good option for stripping the body. What are you opinions?
    Thank you
    Joe Augustine

how serious is the conditon of of the vehicle...maybe you can go for a less invasive methode...pics welcome

subscribed

media blast structure/internal and plastic media inside and outside outer sheet metal .
    if there is body filler remaining ,orbital sand with 80 grit.thanks

Toledo Dipper

I plan to use these guys to dip my 67 912 chassis, doors, fenders, etc. I have seen good results from their process.

http://www.americanmetalcleaninginc....eservices.html

And they are in Toldeo, just up the road from you.

Moito,
    The car is solid overall. The sills have holes. It needs a front suspension pan because it’s rotten where the control arms attach. The floor is solid as far as I can tell. The driver side wheel house is rotten where the suspension pan attaches. It also has has come poor welding around the front drivers drive shock tower. Name:  F3175E8B-2981-45C5-A2E5-2C754156745B.jpg
Views: 584
Size:  106.6 KB It has afew other rust holes. I noticed that Porsche classic remakes some of the original parts now. Name:  C482C4A0-9602-4DF0-A7D1-E0A50F884868.jpg
Views: 544
Size:  110.3 KBName:  1CFF6970-B9A8-4F33-BF54-4B941FF19E62.jpg
Views: 570
Size:  85.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by moito View Post
    how serious is the conditon of of the vehicle...maybe you can go for a less invasive methode...pics welcome

What are the positives and negatives with acid dipping or electrical immersion?

Complete disassembly is the only way to begin to understand how solid - or not - it is. Rust works from the inside out, so the worst stuff is still hidden.

Sample of 1 (and a half, the '69 has just been done):
    I dipped the shell, doors, fenders and lids of my '76 Carrera 3.o, that was 21 years ago. I know for a fact that after 12 years at least, nothing untoward has popped up.

The process is likely the only way you are sure that *all* the rust is gone. You are starting with the cleanest blank sheet possible. That also means that all the body cavities will have to be treated, which is a good idea anyway.
    It is a bit depressing when you get the car back to see it look like a Victoria's secret lace catalog, but all the rust is definitely gone.

And you are also sure that sand will not pop up for decades to come in crevices and small places.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeK View Post
    Sample of 1 (and a half, the '69 has just been done):
    I dipped the shell, doors, fenders and lids of my '76 Carrera 3.o, that was 21 years ago. I know for a fact that after 12 years at least, nothing untoward has popped up.

The process is likely the only way you are sure that *all* the rust is gone. You are starting with the cleanest blank sheet possible. That also means that all the body cavities will have to be treated, which is a good idea anyway.
    It is a bit depressing when you get the car back to see it look like a Victoria's secret lace catalog, but all the rust is definitely gone.

And you are also sure that sand will not pop up for decades to come in crevices and small places.

Thank you GeorgeK.