Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: FS: odds and ends

I have a jack with yellow dot in which there is wording up/down iirc. Think it is folded metal (not cast) where it enters hack support on sill ....but not looked at it for a while.
    Last edited by 911MRP; 12-26-2019 at 12:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 911MRP View Post
    I have a jack with yellow dot in which there is wording up/down iirc. Think it is folded metal (not cast) where it enters hack support on sill ....but not looked at it for a while.
    It would help to have a picture but if it is "folded metal" it is not a 911 jack and probably came from a 914 or some type of VW.

Jim

The jack I referred to is is in storage so not convenient to retrieve and photograph at 11 pm on Boxing Day.

Below are photos from a genuine original English language (so called ROW) driver's handbook .20 suffix dated 9/73. Not a repro. While drivers /owners books with photos from earlier period etc are not always the source for authenticity matters SO NOT CLIAMING GLOVEBOX BOOKET IS DEFINITIVE OF WHAT GOT SUPPLIED these images do show the circa screw jack introduced around calendar 72 for the first time Afiak -- not a recycled much earlier MY photo as sometimes done in such booklets. Presumably showing it in a 911 trunk because new style being introduced roughly contemporary with the cahne for MY car and ooklet refresh? Maybe a studio mock-up of course like the artistic toolkit with DIN wrench and odd pliers in same booklet!!

This first photo of the trunk very clearly shows the U-shaped folded metal style screw jack also with its distinctive crescent indents shape in the sides of that folded metal area -- quite different from the cast / longer shaped screw jack.

IMG_20191226_230413.jpg

Also although black and white shot the plastic dot is the lighter colour than commonly seen green and has darker script on dot (presumably an example with yellow with black up/down script) otherwise this picture similar to more commonly seen green dot from around 72>.

IMG_20191226_230538.jpg

I seem to recall Chuck posting a picture of a folded metal style with green dot from his 73 car although obviously don't know the provenance of his car/jack.

I'm certainly not a jack expert altough have a few but I've previously posted that the evolution of the screw jack ( in fact all jacks) is not well nailed down on this forum omo.

Rather like toolkits I presume there will be evolution of types giving a venerall empirical supply patterns by year as jack type and source changed. Having said that a jack is a loose accessory so probably like toolkits subject to using up old stocks, what worker or dealershiop had to hand and other loose accessory supply "randomness".

Always keen to see more particularly from period photos and known very original cars to inform the debate. .

Not sure if relevant but all PORSCHE ( not just VW-PORSCHE 914) between April 69 and Jan 74 were sold through the jointly owned sales and marketing company known as VG in Europe so maybe affected what was sourced and used as accessories into the dealers? Exploiting economies of scale of that sales and marketing alliance with similar 914 model jack

Screw jacks of this broad type were supplied through the eighties (or even longer) although some cast ones with stickers are very evidently impact bumper ones. For example this on on www is evidently impact bumper era:
    Screenshot_20191227-163635~2.jpg

Hope this input helps.

Steve

PS I've left aside here the various screw jack different handle shapes ( lollipop /tear shaped, parallel / offset, flat Vs indent etc variations) for moment although that is likley part of the evolution pattern as much as the part that fits the sill jack receiver and / or the dot colour/ lettering .
    Last edited by 911MRP; 12-27-2019 at 09:00 AM. Reason: Add impact bumper example

member #1515
    My May build 73 came with the folded metal jack, a real piece of trash. The small support at the bottom sunk into hot asphalt in south Texas and i ended up having to drive the car off it to remove. The folded part ended up twisted and useless.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

Quote Originally Posted by RSTarga View Post
    My May build 73 came with the folded metal jack, a real piece of trash. The small support at the bottom sunk into hot asphalt in south Texas and i ended up having to drive the car off it to remove. The folded part ended up twisted and useless.
    My friend's June '73 also has the folded metal piece of trash.
    - Arne
    Current - 2018 718 Cayman, Rhodium Silver, PDK

Sold - 1972 911T coupe, Silver Metallic; 1984 911 Carrera coupe, Chiffon white; 1973 914 2.0, Saturn Yellow; 1984 944, Silver Metallic

This is the one I refer to as folded or evidently a pressed three sided U-shape formed from sheet together with a distinctive curved shape in the metal side.
    Screenshot_20191227-005309~3.jpg
    IMG_20191226_230413.jpg
    Similar to the example illustrated in 9/72 MY 73 Porsche Driver's handbook (reposted above to assist side by side comparison) Despite the step not being visible due to it being folded in old photo it is clearly U-Shaped if looking at end; also with that distinctive curved indented shape .)

Below is the one I refer to as cast. Much longer, pointed at end and clearly solid cast piece often with bilstein cast in -- not same shape like one illustrated in old MY 73 Driver's book above.
    Screenshot_20191227-004213~3.jpg

Please note: neither of the colour images here are my own Porsche screw jack examples; as explained mine not to hand to photograph right now. Posting these www pictures here simply to show the difference in case not every reader on forum is familiar with the descriptions used above for such an obscure detail.

For avoidance of doubt I'm not holding these third party www pictures as authentic exemplars; simply posted them to illustrate the folded Vs cast aspect in context of the relevant part of the screw jack!

Agree with David on quality. I've never used any of the screw jacks to raise my 73 car in the time I've owned it ...nor would I.

Steve

I've heard it claimed that the piece of wood in trunk carpet pocket was to place the jack on when in use to be stable but it is far too thin and flimsy to do that safefy so I think it is just to level the carpet in the depression near tank / fuse box The wood was discontinued someway into MY 73 anyway iirc.
    Last edited by 911MRP; 12-26-2019 at 05:04 PM. Reason: Add PS

Found an old photo of my example with yellow dot distinctive black lettering and U-Shaped pressed steel, the curved that I explained previously that I own.
    Screenshot_20191227-165416~3.jpg
    IMG_20191226_230413.jpg
    IMG_20191226_230538.jpg

As stated from memory this example I have is indeed consistent with the image featured in 9/72 factory original 73 driver's British market .20 suffix book. Maybe image is as shown in owners manual other markets e.g. German version and NA owners booklet versions? I have them somewhere but not checked the contents for pictures of jacks as mine is a British market RS so only looked at relevant book

Not the clearest picture but still shows: light yellow not green colour dot, black lettering on dot, pressed steel peg/prong, curve press mark in steel, lollipop handle with kink to offset from main jack body. Memory works as clearly for is yellow with black. Black on yellow wording says "up / down" from memory. Also a protective plastic surround beneath cap -- normally there is just a silver cap not the second wider lip beneath cap ? Less common than the green dot examples I suppose.

Note extra lip on 73 factory booklet photo top cap and my example (orange) on photo not usually seen on green dot examples like this one
    Screenshot_20191227-174006~2.jpg

When taken together all these smal details are neat that they align to the picture used in the factory 73 handbook.

Happy to find the archive photo to save me digging around in dusty storage because this old photo of my jack shows the distinctive features that I mentioned previously.

As always lots of nuances in Porsche parts and accessories when original 4 decade old literature and old parts are investigated.

Always open to learn from those who have more facts /
    hard evidence.

Steve
    Last edited by 911MRP; 12-27-2019 at 08:47 AM.

PM Incoming on jack
    Jim

__________________________________________________ ___________
    Early S Registry #2359

1970 Porsche 911 Rally 2.4
    2018 Porsche Macan GTS

My jack is not for sale. I was questioning the comment that the pressed steel pin/prong jacks were not correct for 911 in model year 73. It seems I was correct to question that assertion based on David and other input.

Maybe the moderators could start a new thread by moving the tangential content about the 73 screw jack so as not to confuse the origial for sale post which isn't even a screw jack. Maybe having a dedicated thread on the circ 72 screw jacks will be revealing.

Steve
    Last edited by 911MRP; 12-27-2019 at 09:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RSTarga View Post
    David am correct in my understanding that you have owned your 73 Targa from brand new so despite concerns about quality of the jack you know they were supplied with presed style form new. Seem to recall reading you picked it up in Europe ?

If so long term ownership certainly helps on how it was when brand new details like this

Cheers