Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: '69E admission rebuild - Questions

'69E Intake Rebuild - New Questions

Since the shell is at the body shop and will be for a while, I am working on other parts.

I have pulled the left side intake stack out and started disassembling it while taking measures and notes. A few questions popped up:

- Can I replate the ball and socket joints, or will that damage the fit?

- Is the *rubber* tube spacer/bearing surface correct on the large pivot on the inner side of the stack?

- What can I clean the lower half with, without damaging the pivots of the throttle flaps?

- The actuator arm to the idle switch is broken and seems bent. Can someone conform whether is has a bend in it, and measure the length from its pivot to the adjut screw?

- The microwsicth is open until pressed upon, or closed until pressed uopn? Mine is open either position.
    Last edited by GeorgeK; 06-08-2019 at 09:46 AM.

That bell crank gets two plastic bushings, readily available. You can replate everything except the aluminum connecting links. Zinc plating will dissolve those.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Thank you Ed. Now to find my magnet...

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    I’ve rebuilt lots of MFI engines, always had pro-rebuilds on throttles, makes them run better and removes guess work. 69-71 throttles with arms on one side and stops on the other, always show more wear. G

Still hoping someone can measure the actuator arm.

69-71 on top, 72-73 on bottom. Is this what u want
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Yes! thank you.

Back at it. I got a parts cleaner, helped a lot to remove, literally, 50 years of gunk.

Today's questions:
    - Is this much light visible by the throttle plates too much? There is a definite, if small, ridge visible where the plates close in the intake. There is no play that I can feel in the shafts.
    -the surface of the intake is rough even after thorough cleaning, i.e. it is casting roughness, not caked dirt. Any advantage/disadvantage in smoothing them over?
    -who rebuilds these?

George, too much light. I’m going to my fall back position, time for a pro-rebuild. Expensive but worth it. G

G, I thought as much.
    Brings up the question:. Who is good at rebuilding these?