Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Muffler experience

Muffler experience

Instead of hijacking someone else's thread (http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...be-saved/page4) I realized it would be better to ask this in a new topic. I've just recently started driving my new 1972 2.4 T/E. It was first fitted with a stainless steel Dansk, but I replaced it with a steel Dansk because I didn't like the sound much. The steel muffler is a little quieter but not great. Fortunately I learnt from Noah's thread that there are better mufflers like the original Leistritz ones (as you can see I'm quite new to this).

I would really like to pick up an original Leistritz in good state but it looks like one with good internals will be very hard to find. What are good alternatives? From searching the forum, I found that Monty might be OK and another option is Porsche's classic muffler. Both are around $800-1000. What are everyone's experiences with these or other new mufflers?

Like Noah I'm looking for a quiet and mellow, warm sound. Not loud and harsh like the Dansk mufflers.

Thanks in advance!

I can't speak for the Leistritz on a 911 (although I loved the Leistritz Sportsound on my Mk1 Scirocco years ago), but am interested in this topic as well.

I also have '72 2.4 T/E, mine is currently equipped with a very OE-looking Bischoff. Definitely has a nice, low rumble at idle. I suppose it could stand to be a bit quieter at cruise speed, but my wife and I can chat inside the car easily while at highway speeds.

Of course, like the Leistritz, I have no idea where you could find a new (or even just nice) Bischoff.
    - Arne
    Current - 2018 718 Cayman, Rhodium Silver, PDK

Sold - 1972 911T coupe, Silver Metallic; 1984 911 Carrera coupe, Chiffon white; 1973 914 2.0, Saturn Yellow; 1984 944, Silver Metallic

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    I have SS Leistritz on my 2.4S and a steel Dansk on a MFI 2.7. I like them both. I don’t know about the SS Dansk, but the SS Leistritz is a steel muffler double wrapped with a stainless, so I think it is a little quieter because of double layer. G

I don't think you'll like a Monty.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

I agree with Ed, I have a friend with SSIs and a 2-in/1-out Monty on his 3.2 Carrera, it's not a particularly quiet muffler. Quieter than an M&K, but that ain't sayin' much.

Would be curious to know who is making the current Porsche Classic muffler for them?
    - Arne
    Current - 2018 718 Cayman, Rhodium Silver, PDK

Sold - 1972 911T coupe, Silver Metallic; 1984 911 Carrera coupe, Chiffon white; 1973 914 2.0, Saturn Yellow; 1984 944, Silver Metallic

Thanks all for the feedback so far! OK so a Monty is out. I'll probably try the Porsche Classic muffler unless I can get my hands on a good Leistritz. There's not much information on the Porsche Classic muffler that I can find, but it should at least be better than Dansk.

There are plenty serviceable Leistritz and Bischoffs still out there. You will find these work and sound better than any newer copy.

how about the Porsche classic muffler?
    Steve Shea #1 joined a long time ago
    58 speedster
    66 912
    67S
    73S
    97 VW eurovan
    1132 honda snowblower

member Jackson Hole Ski Club

Quote Originally Posted by geneulm View Post
    There are plenty serviceable Leistritz and Bischoffs still out there. You will find these work and sound better than any newer copy.
    But how to get a good one? I see some ads but for all you know a decent looking muffler might be a pile of rust inside. Only way to find out is to try it after the purchase...

One option, very pricey but custom made, is Scart. Two versions, or two sounds I should add, but both with 60mm outlet.
    MBR #2637
    AKA boschdog
    1968 911 Normal Coupe
    Houston, Texas