Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Muffler experience

the original leistritz was always the best, but now we are relegated to the dansk ,I actually think that Porsche sells the same dansk in their classic line

Update - After looking into the sub-optimal tailpipe/bumper fit of the really nice sounding Bischoff on my car, I found that mine appears to be original for a '74 G-body.

Since it sounds good, and appears to be in fine shape otherwise, I plan to have the taipipe cut off and re-welded at a more bumper-friendly angle. Can't see getting rid of it when its only shortcoming is easily fixed.
    - Arne
    Current - 2018 718 Cayman, Rhodium Silver, PDK

Sold - 1972 911T coupe, Silver Metallic; 1984 911 Carrera coupe, Chiffon white; 1973 914 2.0, Saturn Yellow; 1984 944, Silver Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by govols! View Post
    I have read about the Monty muffler. Supplied by Aase. Any recommendations or reservations ?? Cheaper than the SCART !!
    I have/had a Monty on my 2.9 twinplug, MFI, 13-15 years.
    Perfect.

Many told me don't do it. Flat spots, you'll hate it.
    I purchased it directly from Dave Aase. He told me do not worry, the MFI Monty is the way to go. Full refund if I am not satisfied.
    Great sound, Great looks and Great performance.

About 10 years ago, I had my 2.4 MFI rebuilt with 2.2 S pistons by Scotts Independent. On the engine dyno, the Leistritz outperformed ALL the aftermarket mufflers. 221hp.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Ray Crawford
    Early S Registry #271
    R Gruppe #255
    '70 911 S Coupe 2.9 w/MFI Twin Plug "Flairs n Chairs"
    '72 911 S Targa 2.4 w/MFI

You might want to check out Eisenmann from Germany; Make great Porsche 911 exhausts (no SS!), also versions with improved HP performance. German-made. And all without the ridiculous "voodoo-pricing" some of these artists bring to the table. https://eisenmann-exhaust-systems.co...ssic-line/all/
    911S 1973
    Early 911S Registry #176

Thanks everyone for the feedback! I know Eisenmann makes great exhausts, but I'm specifically looking for the "original" sound and as far as I know, they are more known for loud and sporty. The steel Dansk I have now is not terrible but it does resonate quite a bit at cruising speed. What I'm also hearing is that ideally you need steel heat exchangers as well for the classic sound (I have new stainless heat exchangers from Dansk now). Not sure how much of a difference that will make and I kind of like the idea of never having rust issues with the heat exchangers so I'll probably leave them as they are for now.

I've been in contact with my Porsche dealership and the person who replied to me said that the manufacturer of the Classic exhaust could be Bischoff (I didn't know they were still in business) but he didn't know for sure. Haven't heard back since.

I think I'll try it on my car if it's not outrageously expensive, but this will take a little while. I'll report back if I have it!
    1970 2.2S Elfenbeinweiss
    1972 2.4T Targa Aubergine (MFI) [For sale]
    2002 996 TT Midnight Blue
    Member #3833

FYI: Eisenmann makes a standard classic 911 muffler, as they need to be TuV approved to the car ("eingetragen") contrary to most other EU countries. Specifically made of steel (sound). I would think this one comes as close to original. They also have the non-approved mufflers, that indeed can be more sporty ("loud" if you wish) and add more hp.
    911S 1973
    Early 911S Registry #176

Hey, I didn't realize that, thanks for the info! I'll check it out. Does anyone here have it on their car?
    1970 2.2S Elfenbeinweiss
    1972 2.4T Targa Aubergine (MFI) [For sale]
    2002 996 TT Midnight Blue
    Member #3833

Is this the Eisenmann exhaust that you suggest ?? Name:  0709D523-053D-4F7E-8F7F-D2F266E57C95.jpg
Views: 644
Size:  53.9 KB
    George Kehler in Tennessee

1955 356 coupe
    1971 911S (knee deep in restoration)
    1997 993 Targa

The Porsche Classic mufflers are not like the Dansk mufflers , I guess they could be made by Dansk , but are certainly different . They are similar to a Bischoff - same style welds and double wall thickness .

Eisenmann has its US distribution in Illinois. Here is their price in dollars. I contacted them and spoke to a knowledgeable fellow named Nate at 847-963-4520. Eisenmann’s headquarters are near Weissach and have made custom exhausts for cars in the Porsche museum/collection. Name:  835B60BB-38F7-4DB0-A90F-F4722F2794B7.jpg
Views: 565
Size:  58.3 KB
    Last edited by govols!; 06-13-2019 at 05:21 PM.
    George Kehler in Tennessee

1955 356 coupe
    1971 911S (knee deep in restoration)
    1997 993 Targa